Tylecodon atropurpureus

paniculata
IMG_1458

wallichii
IMG_1454

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tylecodon

Nice! Wish I could get my paniculata to branch like that...seems like it only buds from existing branches for me.

T

o

That is totally Awesome, WOWZERS...

o

Amazing, hope my baby wallichii will grow up that nice.

o

Any of these Tylecodon easier than others?

Like the Tylecodon wallichii, thou I'm sure to get branching like that would take years with expert care.

o

These are all easy to grow. I've had them 15-20yrs with no issues. The geophyte varieties are more touchy.

wallichii is painfully slow in containers, but put in the ground with plenty of light and watch out. That goes for other pachycaul Tylecodon as well

o

Got a baby Tylecodon wallichii, looks like a Troll Doll! Guess it is in it's young hippy stage of life.

How poisonous are these leaves? Should I be worried if these tube leaves drop off and my dog, for what reason, gives it a try? My dog is very picky, but who knows why some plants attract dogs.

o

Is it true that T. paniculata...and possibly the others, are Summer dormant, and sprout leaves and grow when temps. cool, and days are short? How does that work in NYC? If that's the case, these plants would be growing in the weakest natural lighting, and through the cool dark days of Winter. I would think weak, etiolated growth would result.

I wanted to try T. paniculata but was turned off by the Summer-dormant thing. Any way to get around this?

Just curious.

Frank

o

Frank,

For me it's true, and they grow in the winter, dormant in the summer (in fact, it's a plant that spends all of its time in the house, sadly), just like they would back home in Namibia / SW Cape, I guess. It doesn't matter what season / location you're in, the plants time themselves to grow when their DNA tells them to do so, IME.

Here my T. is in early October, beginning its growth in September. It's been repotted since then, so I need to get another pic.

Photobucket

This one-bulbed plant of A. spiralis was nothing but a husk throughout the late spring / summer, and I had feared that I had lost it, but some watering in August and a little more in September and it liveth yet.

Photobucket

Any way to get around this - no, I don't think so, but why would you want to? It will grow for you in NYC, you just need to take some additional care, in fact the same but at the opposite times as that for your Cyphos - they're plants the same but different.

o

cactus:

Thanks for the additional comments.

My concern was keeping this plant growing well in such low light levels...and thought if I learned some cultural "tricks", I could get these plants to slow down in my Winter months, like my Cyphos....but this ain't gonna happen, I guess. My Cyphos have done very well, and they are now entering the quiescent phase. The leaves are starting to shrivel and drop off. Very, very strange plants these Cyphos.

I might just try to grow a T. paniculatus along with the new Cypho. bainesii that I just ordered.

I swore to myself not to buy any new plants until next year. Yeah, right!

Frank

o

Is this Tylecodon wallichii supposed to look like this?
Has it just been pampered before by the nursery?

Since it is dormant in Summer, should I set it outside in the sun? Will some natural sun help the plant, even if the leaves have dropped? Does it need a harsh summer?

o

Is there anywhere to buy these in Canada?

o

Jademan,

I know them not if there are.

o

Thanks much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here