Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whip1_gw

My first Jade blooms!

I'm very excited. I've been trying for years, and the Jades finally agreed to bloom!
{{gwi:691231}}
Quick question. This plant seems to be losing leaves a little more than the Jades that are not blooming. Is this normal? Clearly it's a healthy plant, so I'm not worried about it, but I am curious.

Also, this is Kody. Short for Kodiak, because he reminded us of a little bear when he was a pup.
{{gwi:691233}}

This is Maxwell. We call him Max, because my wife wouldn't agree to any of the other names I suggested.
{{gwi:691234}}

Rob

Comments (21)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Awww, I know how excited you are, if you feel at all like I would if this would happen at my house. Congrats! It's not just one little flower either, is it? At least a couple clumps of them. Great plant!

Dogs can't have green thumbs since they don't have thumbs at all, but your dogs are obviously plant lovers with those green eyes! LOL!

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

Congrats on the blooms! I hope I can post the same news someday!!

The dogs are way cute!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

You know, you are just superb at growing these plants now..Good for you!!!

Mike

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Congrats! How exciting!

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Awsome congrats

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments.

Mike, I have about a dozen Jades. Only one bloomed, so I wouldn't call me a superb grower. :) Thankfully, I haven't lost one since I switched to the gritty mix, but I can't take credit for that either.

I'll post more pictures when more blooms pop.

Rob

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Cheers, Rob!
    Those blooms look fantastic :-)
    The leaf-loss could be due to a decrease in light, and could also be due to the plant putting energy into the bloom. I assume you are still watering and fertilizing regularly? My blooming Jades tend to dry out sooner, I've noticed...probably because I've positioned them in sunnier locations on the window-sills.

Josh

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Great job Whip, Congrats!! I remember how excited I was when I had my first blooms last year...

Cute dogs by the way...

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,
    I'm still watering and fertilizing regularly. Light reduction is a big factor coming inside.

Thanks again for all of the compliments!

Rob

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A few more blooms opened up today.
    {{gwi:691236}}

Also, while watering, I noticed some roots peeking out of the drain hole. Am I correct in assuming the plant is telling me it would like a new home come spring? Do Jades respond well to root pruning, or would potting up be better?

Rob

10 years ago

Hey, Rob!
    Yes, re-pot next season (late Spring - early Summer).
    Jades respond fine to root-pruning, but potting up would get you bigger growth and thicker trunks. Can you take a pic of the entire plant?

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josh,
    Here's the whole plant. Those are 4 inch tiles behind for scale.
    {{gwi:691237}}
    I know it could use a bigger pot.

Rob

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Goodlooking plant!

10 years ago

Pot it up, indeed!
    It's putting on very nice growth and will appreciate new volume into which it can grow.

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Side note. Has anyone seen this style of pot for sale? It's a straight walled terracotta pot. I bought a few locally a few years back, but I don't remember where. I like them being just a little different than what you normally see.
    I'll definitely give it a new pot come spring.

Rob

10 years ago

I haven't come across that pot in a while.
    Whenever I see a slightly different form, I usually snatch 'em up.

Josh

• snailprincess
    10 years ago

That's so cool. They are so pretty and unusual normally , I forget that they flower like almost all other plants! It's extra special when they do! Congrats!

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All of the blooms have opened up!
    {{gwi:691238}}

Rob

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello....Such a great job Rob, and I am sorry, you DO deserve credit for that.:-)

I have tried every thing with my smaller ones, and I just can't seem to get any to do anything with all kinds of different methods...I wonder if even the rarer ones I have even flower?
    I have never seen a Red Horn tree flower nor any of the others...:-(

Mike

10 years ago

Excellent! Hello, Rob, hello, Mike!
    Mike, remember your 'Hobbit' (but they seemed variegated, so maybe they were 'Red Horn Tree') cuttings had blooms on them.

Incidentally, my Crassula ovata 'Denethor' just opened its single bloom.

Josh

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike,
    I'll accept the credit, but until I can get more to bloom, I don't think I deserve it. None the less, thanks for the compliments. That being said, I'm very excited to watch this happen.

Mike and Josh, hope all is going well.

Rob

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals