Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Wow, what a show!
    That Trachyandra blew me away.

Josh

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Oh Lord, Caudex, what beautiful succulents!!!!

I didn't know variegated Fockea existed. I want one. lol.
    Those Adeniums are to die for!
    Boophane and Trachyanda are amazing. Never heard or saw either. Wow! Wouldn't mind finding one of each.

Conophytum..are they in pots? I can't make them out. What a variety!

Where does one who lives in the mid-west find these succulents?

They're all amazing. Toni

• karyn1
    12 years ago

They are all nice and some really spectacular. I love many of the containers as well. I wonder if my Aloinopsis schooneesii will ever look as nice as that one?

Toni the Boophane disticha is a South African bulb. I lost mine this spring. It developed rot that I couldn't halt. I think the Trachyandra might also be a S.A. bulb. That is very cool looking. You can find a nice selection at Telos Rare Bulbs in CA and Shield's also has some nice bulbs. Miles carries some of the plants pictured. That's where I got my Aloinopsis schooneesii.

• Beachplants
    12 years ago

Great job again - wowzers your plants are really superb! I guessed most are yours in the rough looking wonderfully natural pots??

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

There's a show this Friday-Saturday in Anaheim, CA.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Karen, thanks. As weird as it may sound, I never heard of either nursery, lol. Is Miles, Miles2Go or another nursery?

That Boophane is amazing! So, guess it really has to dry between waterings and needs well-draining soil.

How's your Aloinopsis..is it slow-growing? Don't know much about bulb growing, but it's something to look into. lol.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    12 years ago

Wowza!

Caudex...is that bonsai wire on the Pachycormus, or an optical illusion?

T

• karyn1
    12 years ago

The boophane was super sensitive to moisture, especially at the wrong time of year. It doesn't just have to dry between waterings. It can't get wet at all while dormant (in the conditions I had it in) and I guess mine did. It's not that difficult to find and even though I really liked it I don't think I'll try growing it again. Yes, it's Miles2Go. Gardino's also has some nice selections but more on site then online. My Aloinopsis is a pretty slow grower and it's just getting to where I can see some stem. It was kind of flat to the soil for a long time. It wasn't potted too deeply or anything. It just didn't have much of a stem.

• caudex1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

T,
    Good eye, that is wire.

Aloinopsis is slow but even slower with bonsai treatment. Purchased it about 1yrs ago in a 2in pot and gradually starting exposing more of the roots, every other year a little more. It stays out in the weather year round, gets exposed to 30deg temps(some times lower), pouring rain and hat full sun. Looks sad frequently but comes back every year. I think it the bonsai container and lack of organic matter in the soil that keep it from rotting in the winter. My Boophane stays out all year as well.

The Conophytum collection is Larry Grammer's and the pots are from an artist in Tuscon. An elderly woman that only makes a few pots every year. Being in short supply they always sell out.

My plants are the Adromischiscus, Pelargonium, Othonnas and Aloinopsis

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Caudex1 I didn't realize that some of those were yours. Wow, congratulations! I didn't know the Aloinopsis was so cold hardy. It gets well below freezing for extended periods during the winter here so I think keeping it outside year round is out for me. Do you have a "dry season"? The person I got my boophane from told me to be careful about moisure while it was dormant. I'm assuming that's what caused the rot but don't know for sure.

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    12 years ago

As always, amazing plants. Seeing these pics makes me want to move to So-Cal! The Trachyandra looks more like a piece of art than it looks like a plant.

• gazala
    7 years ago

Wow...This looks amazing. I live in Toronto, where can I buy these?

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

Have you tried searching on the Internet or checking out the branch of your local cactus and succ society, I'm sure you will have one? This post is ancient btw!

Gill

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    7 years ago

And it would be EXTREMELY unlikely you'd ever find plants as nice as these in the GTA available for purchase. You'd have to start out much smaller.

• Lars
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

There will be another sale/show at the Los Angeles County Arboretum this November 5-6. I'll have to put that on my calendar. It looks like I missed the Long Beach cactus auction last Saturday.

• Lars
    7 years ago

I was planning to go to Texas and the Caribbean coast of Mexico in February because I have business in Texas to take care of, and so I might not make the San Diego show in February, but I have not finalized my plans. I do have friends in San Diego I would like to visit, however, and so I might still be able to make it there.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm