Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obxmom1026

Help! I'm afraid I'm going to lose my Christmas Cactus

OBXMom1026
9 years ago

I received a Christmas Cactus 15 years ago on the day my first child was born. This cactus has thrived, bloomed, been propagated and survived several moves over the last decade and a half. About 2 months ago during our most recent move my (sweet and totally forgiven) husband left the cactus on a picnic table for 3 days in the full hot East Coast beach sun. It got fried. I mean, all of the branches were white and dry. I have trimmed it down as well as I could and removed the dead portions. Now, all I have left is the one main original stalk/stump and maybe 2-3 inches of so-so looking greenish sections on 3-4 branches left. I'm am so afraid it's going to die. What should I do? I don't know if I should repot (it's been a while) in order to give the roots new nutrients and help it thrive? Water, don't water? Indirect sun, shade? This has been such an easy plant to care for up to now so I really have no idea how to help this little guy. When I say this plant means a lot to me, I mean, I would run into a burning building for it. I had no idea it had been left outside, I had thought it had made the move with the rest of my plants. FYI: In case you can't tell I'm freaking out. I'm open to any & all suggestions. If there's anyone on the NC East Coast that is willing to adopt and save I'd drive it to you and even buy you lunch. I've even searched for plant hospitals. Please, please help!

This post was edited by OBXMom1026 on Fri, Nov 7, 14 at 9:45

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Please post a picture so that we can see the size of the container and the type of mix. That will determine whether a re-potting will help.

Josh

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

Well, the damage has been done, so please don't fret yourself into a sleepless night. I have burned them, froze them and generally made myself a target of the plant police. They can be tough. If you get it back to the place where they thrived before, it could conceivably re-start. Keep it warm and moist, but not wet. Do not trim it anymore, let the pieces wither and shrivel.

Do not re-pot or otherwise disturb it any more. Remember that with less greenery, it will need less water. And wait. This is not the time of year it makes new stems, so if it just sits there, that is normal. The parts nearest the soil need to be somewhat succulent for re-growth to occur. The brown bark nearest the soil covers the green that photosynthesizes. If you have even 1/2 inch of sturdy stem, you will probably have a little plant in the spring.

• OBXMom1026
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's one pic.

• OBXMom1026
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another, and you can tell from the other cactus in background (which is much younger) that I can keep them alive.

• Lars
    9 years ago

It looks like you have plenty of plant for it to grow back. My caution would be not to over water it. If it gets too much water, it will turn wrinkly, and this may look like it is drying up, but it is actually the opposite problem.

These plants are very easy to propagate. I have a lot of epiphyllum (not yours, however), and they grow like weeds for me. My Queen of the Night is now so prolific that I have cuttings in six or seven pots. I think it would probably grow inside, but I only bring it is when it is about to bloom.

If you need another plant, you could probably find someone to send you a cutting. Mine are all outdoor plants, although they would probably grow indoors with enough light. My problem (like what happened to yours) is providing them with enough shade.

I think that with time yours will recover.

Lars

9 years ago

Definitely re-pot!

Move it into a smaller container, otherwise that volume of soil (which might have been fine for the full plant) will hold too much moisture and could rot the roots as the plant attempts to recover.

Downsize as soon as possible.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

Wrong soil, wrong size container, for a start. I agree with Josh. If you want to save the plant, repot it. In that large a plastic pot, it may not survive if you wait too long, in my opinion.

Christopher.

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

By the way, I am surprised Josh has not already mentioned that it appears to be a Thanksgiving Cactus, not a true Christmas Cactus.

Christopher

• Dzitmoidonc
    9 years ago

The reason to NOT re-pot is that the top has been damaged. Why would you compound the stress, and damage the roots? There is no way to re-pot one of these with their tiny fibrous roots without tearing some. Torn roots are another way for pathogens to enter the vascular system. Careful watering until the plant gets on its feet is still my recommendation.

9 years ago

Christopher, you are so right! Ha! I must be slipping ;-)
    In its haggard state, I didn't even notice the leaves. Yes, this is a Thanksgiving Cactus.

The stress of a large volume of water-retentive mix is a far greater stress than a few torn roots. This is the not the best time to re-pot, certainly, but it should be done in order to give this plant the best chance of surviving.

Josh

• kaktuskris
    9 years ago

I still have to agree with Josh. This is an emergency measure.

Christopher

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner