Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What the heck should I do with this poor thing?

Posted by LauraRobichaud none (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 10:05

I've had this poor neglected cactus for several years. It started out as a little ball and then grew out and over the footed planter it was in. I just planted it in the gritty mix. It's propped up on the yellow pot filled with gritty mix for the lack of something else to rest it on. It actually has bloomed the last 3 years. I don't think I can cut it, but it won't, obviously stand on it's own without falling out of the pot. I've thought of just throwing it away, but I'd feel bad. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What the heck should I do with this poor thing?

Here's another pic.

o

If you do not want it have you thought about putting it up for adoption? Someone on here or through Freecycle dot org might be interested in giving it a home. Just a thought.

o

I'd really like to save it and keep it. Not sure if it'll develop a better root system in the gritty mix and be able to anchor the rest of the plant or if I should cut it in half and root the top.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 12:18

If that was in the ground, the good strategy would be to give it a rock to rest on. Can you find a long container, plant it in one end and rest the other end on a rock at the other end of the container? It would look pretty cool.

And maybe give it more sun in the summertime?

o

It's a Mammillaria, and some of them grow like that. I have a M. matudae over a foot tall that grows like that, and so did M. perezdelarosa until the bottom rotted. Now I have a bunch of little ones, but they haven't started to crawl yet. If I find the pic of the matudae, I'll send it along soon.

o

Mammillaria matudae.

o

I'd replant it in a long rectangular or oval pot (or any crazy shape you want:), make the soil look like a real desert floor and let the cactus rest on the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here