Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sowngrow

Succulent i.d. needed

sowngrow (8a)
10 years ago

Hello-I've just recently begun to grow a variety of succulents and I need an i.d. on this one. I believe it to be a type of Kalanchoe, as it has similar leave to the Kalanchoe "Paddle Plant" I have, but these leaves are elongated and as they grow larger, they arch downwards. Thank you!

Comments (13)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Yes, it is a Kalanchoe, most likely Kalanchoe luciae (less likely, Kalanchoe thyrsiflora, but you don't usually see curled leaves like that. I would check the plant for insects, although it doesn't seem to have any from my view. Is it always indoors?

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It doesn't have any insects on it or in the soil, as far as I can tell and I pay close attention. I have had it indoors for about two months. Kalanchoe Luciae seems to have more of a clam shell type leaf whereas these leaves are longer than they are wide. The leaves are strong and healthy.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a Kalanchoe luciae that I'm growing, for comparison to the other photo.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

As it looks like your plant has the farina (powder) on the stem, still says Kalanchoe to me. K. thyrsiflora leaves would be somewhat different, but you'll have to wait for blooms to really know what you have.

Thanks for the additional pic. Is the pot in this pic the same size as the pot of the other plant? Good that you have no insects. The curling leaves is just odd then. It looks nice!

Perhaps the link below would be helpful to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: luciae vs. thyrsiflora

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The pots are similar in size. The leaves are more furled when new. They tend to flatten out and are less furled as they mature. It does have the powdery coating. I think it's more likely Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. Thank you for your help!

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

It is most definitely NOT Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. That plant never looks like that.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha-the mystery continues...

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Just so you know...K. thyrsiflora is not usually seen in the trade, although there may be some company growing/distributing it nowadays. It's just very much less likely to be seen. The leaves of these 2 plants can be a bit variable, depending on their growing conditions. So, until you have blooms, you're not likely to get a positive ID on it.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, this is interesting. Note the larger pot on the right, the plant in the back of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube video-K.thyrsiflora

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm curious. What is interesting about it to you?

What's interesting to me, is that they are showing a Kalanchoe luciae (evident from the flowers shown), but are calling it Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. =)

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I noticed all the plants except the one in the back of the large pot, looked like Kalanchoe luciae. The one in the back of the large pot, looked just like my plant that I'm trying to i.d. When mine flowers, I'll post a picture of it. Thanks.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

That just shows you how entrenched some of these misidentifications get in the commercial plant world, and the more videos and sales that promote the incorrect names, the harder it will be to ever permanently clear up this sort of problem.

Though it has nothing to do with succulents, I am writing an article right now on nearly the exact same problem with the Norfolk Island Pine mess up... 95% of all these sold in the US are actually NOT what they say they are, but Cook Pines... just like this 'Flapjack' screw up... deeply entrenched in the commercial plant world, and probably will stay that way forever.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"deeply entrenched in the commercial plant world, and probably will stay that way forever"

Education is the only thing can combat these misconceptions lzrddr. That's the good thing about what you and others who know better, are doing. Keep up the good work.