Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Monadenium coccineum

I visited a greenhouse in Jackson, Michigan yesterday. I've been to this location over the summer and wanted to return because, the obvious, he has some really neat plants, is unbelievably friendly, and has the gift of gab; could you ask for anything more for an enjoyable sunny afternoon! I picked up a pair of Euphorbia suzannae, male and female in flower.... so cool! While walking around I also saw two variations of Monadenium magnificum. Well the owner said the plant on the left was imported from Tanzania while the plant on the right was purchased from a US retailer. The plant on the right looks like most of what I've seen on the internet except the plant shown at http://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/subs/mon-mag-sub.asp. Is it possible that these are both the same? And how do you care for this, since it has leaves and nice flowers, i.e., water .... hold back on the water to force it to go dormant....what? He also gave me a bare root Monadenium coccineum with a very nice caudex. The stalks were all cut short and it looks dormant. Haven't a clue how to provide good culture for this and on Bihrmann's website it says this is a winter grower. I know most Monadenium are kept pretty dry during the winter, so what do I do???????

Comments (6)