Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I repot this new Crown of Thorns?

Posted by wendync 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 10:52

I got a new crown of thorns from the clearance rack at Lowes. It was completely submerged in water, with 1 inch of it on top of the plastic pot and a few more inches in the decorative pot it was sitting in. The plant looked fine, however. I guess it was marked clearance because it was out of bloom.

Any way, so it took 8 days for that thing to dry out. However, I have noticed that the "soil" it is in dries hard as a rock, like cement. I'm wondering if I should repot it into something else? What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I repot this new Crown of Thorns?

I would have re-potted it as soon as I got it.

o
RE: Should I repot this new Crown of Thorns?

I would re-pot it as soon as possible if it were me. Into a good, well draining mix.

IMO anything you get from a Big Box store like lowes should be re-potted right away. The mix they are in is garbage. They are peat heavy and hold way too much water.

When peat becomes totally dry,it will turn to cement as you see, it will repel water, so it is just a no win in the mix it is in. It will need a good soaking, then you will be right back where you are with it too wet for too long.

In the future, if you can't re-pot right away, remove the plant and set it on news paper or paper towels to dry it out faster. 8 days is too long for a succulent in such a soggy mess.

I would gently remove as much of the old soil as possible, and re-pot it.

JoJo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here