Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurganics

Allow me to introduce myself, and my succulents.

laurganics
10 years ago

Hey there all! I've been lurking for awhile trying to learn a bit more about succulent care. I've really enjoyed watching you all truly root for each other's plants, it's adorable.
I'm Lauren, I'm a photographer and metalsmith, and I love plants. They bring me peace and lower my anxiety levels (as long as they don't die).
I also have a big mama aloe plant that all my pups come from, a few ferns, an ivy and a small indoor herb garden I am cultivating but I will not post pictures of those. I don't know the species and variety of half my succulents so I would appreciate some ID's from you guys! Also you will notice some of my plants are distressed. I would greatly appreciate it if you all recognized what you see as either sunburn, over or under watering, rot, disease, etc so I can save my plants. A few of these were rescued from my sister in laws wedding. They were used as table decor, planted in the wrong soil and totally over watered. A few didn't make it by the time I got home to replant. I don't know how to post a gallery yet so bear with me as I post each individually.

In this image are 2 plants I would like ID'd. (The middle plant and far right) They are both in distress, the second has a close up of the brown spots on the middle plant.

Comments (26)

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close up of this poor baby. I think this plant is gorgeous and I would like it to survive. Anyone got an ID or diagnosis of the brown spots?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what I consider to be a relatively healthy jade (anyone know the specific variety?). I don't know the little plant I stuck in its pot. It appears to be a victim of overwatering and it just keeps getting worse. This
    Little guy is one I rescued from the wedding. I really love it but it doesn't look like he's gonna make it. I would love an ID so I can get another one in the future.

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Little baby echeverias with other little baby's rooting alongside :)

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one from the water wedding pot. I'm trying to save it. It got pretty wet. I really love this one so I'm hoping it dries out and comes back to life. Anyone know the species and variety?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One of my favorites who's doing quite well. She started to die but it turned out I wasn't watering her enough. I forgot what she's called... She was labeled something like "African pearl plant". Idk. Anyone?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love if you could ID everything in this pot. I know one is a jade, but I don't know the others. The one on the right sucked up too much water and a petal yellowed up and dropped off but she seems to be doing fine now.

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aloe pups I'm cultivating to give as gifts and two mystery sux.

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had these for a while and they're hanging in there. Don't know what the one in the back is called and he seems to not be doing well. He's turning reddish brown in a bunch of spots and his leaves started dropping off. The one in the front is one of my favorites and I would love to know what she's called and the best way to take care of her. I want her to thrive.

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm so bored with this guy for some reason. I don't know why. I tend to neglect him but he keeps hanging in there. Can someone ID this one for me?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't know what is wrong with this hen. She had a bunch of chicks this summer that I cut off and planted and she's seemed to shrivel up. See how her bottom half is turned downward and the the too half is turned up? What's up with her?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tall plant is one that I took from my sister in laws wedding. It had two flower buds. The first broke off, and this shriveled up. I was
    Excited to see them bloom ;( anyone have an ID on either of these?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These two little peanuts are from my sister in laws wedding. I want these to grow sooo badly. I think they're wonderful. Does anyone have an ID in case they don't make it?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love this one so much but I don't know what it's called! Does anyone have an Id So I can get more?

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last but not least, here is a poor dead succulent. He did not survive the soggy wet wedding pot. He was gorgeous while he was alive and I've been keeping him on dirt In case he decides to send out some roots but I don't think he will. Anyone have an ID so I can find him again? Thank you all soooooo much. I am very excited to read replies!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Hi, laurganics. Thank you for rescuing those poor succulents!

The big jade in 3 looks like Crassula ovata -- the standard jade.

10 is Echeveria runyonii âÂÂTopsy TurvyâÂÂ. There's another in 13/14.

The tall guy in 12 is Senecio mandraliscae âÂÂBlue Chalk SticksâÂÂ. (Mine is blooming this month also.)

14 (and the spiky guys in 1 and 2) are Crassula tetragona, a jade relative.

I could guess about some of the others, but I'll leave that to the folks who really know.

I'm sure someone will want to know what you have them growing in now (besides the bark).

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I'll look those up now! The soil is just the regular cactus soil I got from the nursery. So far don't really have any complaints with it.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Lauren, & welcome! Cute collection, sending good vibes!
    - Tiffany

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Glad to hear someone else saving succulents from a wedding. I saved some cuttings at my nephew's wedding in Sept. They were pierced through the base and hard wired into bouquets and arrangements. I lost 2 but the rest has made it so far.

Number 6 is "string of pearls"

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Best of luck with all your new Succulents!! Welcome to the forum...I'll let the more experienced members help you with the ID's...

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    10 years ago

Not really sure, but I'll guess anyway:

#15 could it be peperomia ferreyrae?
    # 9 - also #12 shorter plant = sedum rubrotinctum? (common names: Jelly bean plant, pork & beans)
    #5 could it be Sedum morganianum?

You probably will like Echeveria runyonii âÂÂTopsy Turvyâ once you see it flower...see photo (and others have them blooming even much 'nicer' than mine).

Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 17:22

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Lauren (out of lurking mode)! =)
    Nice bunch fo sux you have there! Good hobbies you have!

My take:
    1. Sedum nussbaumerianum -small one might be Sedum tetractinum
    2. Sedum nussbaumerianum, yes, looks burned,
    3. Crassula ovata, w/ Sedum tetractinum, I believe
    4. Sempervivum w/ Sedum rubrotinctum
    5. Sedum ? not sure which species
    6. Senecio rowleyanus, String of Pearls
    7. Echeveria, Sedum nussbaumerianum & perhaps Crassula cultrata or platyphylla ?
    8. Aloe vera v. chinensis & Sedum nussbaumerianum
    9. Sedum rubrotinctum & maybe 'Aurora' on left, if it has lighter coloring-not sure on the small variegated one-need to see better pic

1. Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy'
    2. Sempervivum w/ Sedum nussbaumerianum
    3. Senecio mandraliscae & Sedum rubrotinctum
    4. Echeveria 'Topsy Turvy' w/ Sedum lineare f. variegata
    5. Crassula tetragona
    6. a type of Senecio ('Himalaya' comes to mind, but cannot be sure)

Done in a hurry...dogs are hungry...so maybe mistakes. Will have to check later!

• wweidele
    10 years ago

Hi and welcome I thibk rosemariero took care of the ids again welcome and gl

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everybody! Rina, your topsy turvy looks beautiful! Maybe I will be able to find a new appreciation for my own.

Rosemarie, wow thank you so much. I referenced everything and everything you provided a name for was correct. Here is another picture of the one you weren't sure about. The Sedum in the photo didn't have any other lighter bits, it was just the way the light was hitting. If you still can't tell from this photo, I can take another when I get back In town.

• laurganics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh one more thing. I am wondering if number 1 is something different? Only because it doesn't look like my other Sedum nussbaumerianums. It looks more lotus-y to me.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Check Sedum adolphii as a possibility for #1. I'm not convinced of that, but you never know.

Thanks for the additional pic of #9. I would appreciate another of just that plant-in even light (taken outside?), if possible, please. Being able to see the real color & a closer look would help. Could be Crassula, Sedum, or even Aptenia!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Lauren,

That's a powerful group of named plants there, and welcome aboard.

The soil your plants are in is not conducive to their long-term health. Perhaps someone's already mentioned it to you, but I'd change that (more porous and less peaty and lumbery) so those good-looking plants can get larger and grown-in into their pots. You might also want to put the smaller cuttings into smaller pots, and once they've grown a little, put them into bigger pots.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES