Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grantgarden22

A rare walmart find?

I snached up a E. Laceta because it has some variegation that I haven't see. Its seems to be a green variety but with some white streaking and a part of the crest that is half white and half green. What do you guys think? Am I into a new cultivar?
Grantgarden2

Comments (14)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Wow - that is a nice one! It would have jumped in my cart, too!

My green one shows some light streaks and I was totally thrilled to find a couple of pure white streaks in it. But mine doesn't compare to yours! (Look closely, you'll find the white streak. LOL)

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup. Wonder if it will continue like your has? I'd like that.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crenda, thank you! That definely helps! Did you buy it like that with the white streaking or it grew like that at your house? Do you plan on cutting that section and rooting it? On the other side of my plant it shows some white streaking kinda like yours.
    Grantgarden2

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

My plant is mostly green and a pale green marbling. There are a few prominent white streaks, but not as many as shown in your second picture. That is really nice! Can't wait to see how it progresses.

I have no plans to cut the white part off and try to root it. I don't think it would survive. Without the green chlorophyll, I don't think it could get/make the nutrients that it needs. I also wonder if this part of the plant will sunburn more easily.

Hopefully Stush2049 will see this thread. He has some beautiful specimens! He may tell me I am all wrong on rooting the white parts.

Edit to answer your question - the white streaks showed up after I had the plant about a year. This prominent streak just show up last year at about 4 years old.

This post was edited by Crenda on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 18:38

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

I purchased mine all white and some times a green patch crops up. I usually cut them out. Green takes over the white. Yours looks nice. The long skinny one growing up. You can cut it off and root if on it's own. It will develop into E. lactea White Ghost. I have cut several out of my plants.
    Stush

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my E. lactea White Ghost. These were cuttings from reversions on my crest.
    Stush

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Thanks, Stush! I knew you'd know if the white part could be trimmed off and rooted. My plant has grown a lot this year, so it will be left alone (unless a reversion shows up). Maybe it will be a dandy like yours one day.

I was thinking in the lines of a white sport that sometimes shows up on a variegated jade. Conventional wisdom says it won't live on its own.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stush, the cool thing is that the white part is only half of one side. The inner part of the crest is green, and the reversion is half white and half green.
    Grantgarden2

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

A rare thing from Walmart? Think about that for a moment and you'll come up with the correct answer. Nevertheless, it's a nice plant.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cactusmcharris, I see what you mean. But variegation can spontaneouly occur in plants. And I'm assuming that these are mass produced my workers that don't know much these plants. And just not notice anything different about it and grafted it.
    Grantgarden2

• paul_
    9 years ago

I would disagree somewhat with Stush -- if I am understanding the OP's Q correctly.

His E. lactea White Ghost are not pure white. In addition to the green smatterings, the plants as a whole still have a greenish/grayish cast overall. The white section on Grant's is pure white -- completely devoid of chlorophyll.

So IF the thought was to separate out that purely white part only (none of the green), then no, it will not survive.

If instead the idea was to separate the entire crested graft from the stock plant, that should be no problem at all.

For that matter, if the OP wished to break up the crested mass into 2 or more pieces, that should also work provided the white section is still attached to some that is green.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Paul,
    Thanks for clearing up about the white ghost, I have noticed the same thing, the greyish green parts on the E. lactea White Ghost. If I wanted to take the white crest part off i think it would survive but grow extremely slow, on the other half is all green, so the crest it split half and half with green and white. But I am not planning on taking it off anytime soon or in dire situations I will take it off, but it would look really ugly with a huge cut on the side.
    Grantgarden2

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Grant,

If you are in the future slicing and dicing or grafting pieces and parts of that plant, it's best done in the spring and one suggested stock would be something robust like E. ingens.

• Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cactusmcharris,
    thanks, I will look into the grafting stock, E. Ingens.
    Thanks!