Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Haworthia Name, Please

I know this is a rather common Haworthia but my senior moments are keeping me from knowing the name.

Thanks,
Howard

Comments (11)

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

reinwardtii?

• noki
    10 years ago

To be honest... unless you know where it came from it may be hard to be certain. There are different opinions about what these types actually are.

• nil13
    10 years ago

I'm going with H. fasciata.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

I considered fasciata, but that one has more lines than dots. Also, fasciata grows flat, while the one shown seems to have a central plant and some offsets around the base. Both are in our collection, but I realize that plants vary greatly.

For what it's worth, I think that a plant separated from the tag becomes something other than a species. (The reason for Haworthia sp. or Haworthia aff. fasciata). Some plants are distinct enough to not be mistaken for another, but most plants exist as a continuum (love that word, other than vacuum, it is the only uu word I know). This means that the line between species is a human construct, and once the marker is moved, the hole it occupied is filled in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_affinis

• paul_
    10 years ago

I would have gone with it being simply a variant of fasciata as well ... but what do I know?

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Well, paul, is this plant growing from one tall elder that has a bunch of offsets (characteristic of rein.), or is it more of a low mat, characteristic of fasciata? Only you can see the plant, the rest of us have a pic to go by. In other words, one grows low, mine are less than 3 inches tall, the other tall, the old one here is probably a foot tall.

EDIT: Ah, I guess Paul can't see bikerdoc's plant from MN, no matter how good his vision is. I mistook Paul for the OP. Sorry for the confusion. I'll stop.

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 18:41

• paul_
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by Dzitmoidonc
    EDIT: Ah, I guess Paul can't see bikerdoc's plant from MN, no matter how good his vision is. I mistook Paul for the OP. Sorry for the confusion. I'll stop.

LOL. Not a prob, Dz! Although I actually could pop over to Howard's to look at his plant. He's only about a 15-20 min drive from me, I think. (I'm in MI not MN. )

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul, don't rush over too soon. The plant is actually my son's plant in Chicago and I was going to help myself to a cutting. Personally, my first thought was that it was H. reinwardtii.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

my guess is Haworthia attenuata.

• paul_
    10 years ago

That would be a bit of drive. heh

Rather surprised you like that one, Howard. I know you tend to prefer the ones with a much greater degree of white bumps and lines. (Can't remember the correct term for such raised areas.)

• nil13
    10 years ago

It's not H. attenuata because it doesn't have white tubercles on the top on the leaves.