Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Is this a succulant or just some sort of Bonsai? pic

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

This may seem like a dumb question, but I am not famailiar with this plant.

It was bought for me as a gift, and I would love to know if it is some form of succulent?

At least I have been good with growing it, considering it has stayed alive for months now..

The key is not to water too often...;-)

I practically ignore it...

Thankyou much,

Mike

{{gwi:695872}}

{{gwi:695876}}

Comments (14)

• joscience
    14 years ago

The plant is Monadenium rubellum, which is definately a succulent. It has both a succulent caudex (the swollen tuber) and succulent leaves. The stems could be argued either way.

It looks great whatever you are doing! Keep it up!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Mike,

If you want more growth, you'd do well to water it well (assuming its soil is porous) in the summer. It wants heat.

And it's a nice representative of the succulent-and-caudiciform Euphorbiaceae.

Josiah,

Thanks for IDing it - I was on the point of wondering in print if there was a Hoya with a caudex.

• rizara
    14 years ago

Hi there,
    I was just given a little tiny plant, how long did it took you to get it to this size... and how much do you water? I'm trying my luck with the succulents, i colect mostly orchids and hoyas, but i love the shape of the succulents and their flowers are sometimes spectacular! :)
    Let's hope i don't kill it. It looks very delicate!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Nice one, Mike!
    Thanks for the pics.

Jeff, I thought "hoya" when I first saw the leaves.... ;)

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

The flowers and base look like a Monadenium possibly rubellum but plese do your homework and check it up, and make sure. Yours looks to me like it may need more light. Not strong bright light just more gradually. Hope this will be of some help. Norma

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, maybe I should start with learning how to spell the word succulent first, then ask for help on growing one..lol

I've only had this one since the spring...It actually only grew from the leaf portion so far...But I am glad I have suceeded with keeping it alive at least. For me, that is a feat..Everyone that comes for a visit loves it..

Thanks for all your help and identification everyone..

Norma,
    I will most certainly do a bit more research on this one, now that know its name..I love the flowers too! Now that I have a new skylight, I have just the place for it.
    Thankyou for your suggestions and help...

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A couple of quick questions if I may.

Will the caudex grow on its own, or do I need to do anything to encourage to get bigger, other than providing it heat and more light?

I was wondering if you would cut the leaves back a bit from the ends, or just let them to grow long and wild? Should pruning be done on these?

Thankyou

• joscience
    14 years ago

The caudex will essentially grow on its own. To really maximize its growth, it wants *warmth* and a fair amount of water while it is actively growing. If it slows down, or goes dormant completely, scale the water way back. If you are growing it inside, it may actively grow year 'round.

The other thing to do is make sure the roots have enough space. You really don't want to overpot it, that is an easy way to rot a plant, just make sure it doesn't get totally root-bound.

You can prune pretty much to your hearts desire. If you take off too much all at once (like all the vines), you'll definitely slow the growth of the plant down. Be careful of the white latex that will bleed out when you cut the plant. Although Monadenium don't tend to be as caustic as Euphorbia, some people are still very sensitive to it and can develop a nasty rash or sore where the latex contacted your skin. Be especially careful not to get any in your eyes.

This species is a good candidate for hanging baskets...

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

If you do have an accident, and get it in any opening it will burn, pour whole milk or cream on it first. Our people at the Huntington use oil, peanut oil, soy, butter whatever, it can be very painful. That is why I said research, it just seemed strange to me that the stems are sprawling. I love this plant it is cool. Norma

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A big THANKYOU everyone...Will do..:-)

• joscience
    14 years ago

If you are a serious Euphorb collector, track down and buy an Aeonium lindleyi. The juice of A. lindleyi is an effective antidote to the effects of Euphorb latex. I've talked to more than one person who got latex in their eyes, and had instant relief by squeezing some of the A. lindleyi juice into their eyes.

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the info on this. I picked up a couple from Maas nursery in Seabrook for my so as bonsai, they had them in their bonsai stock. It looks like we're not watering it enough from Normas post.

Joscience, thanks for the information on Aeonium lindleyi, you wouldn't believe how many calls we get about pencil tree cactus sap in the eye. It almost always causes a corneal burn that requires extenive treatment. I doubt if I can get the ERs to use it but it would be helpful at home with all the euphorb I have. Maybe we can get a grant to study it!
    Tally HO!

14 years ago

My friend once got E. abdulkuri sap (supposedly one of, if not, the worst) on his chest - the juice from crushed leaves of A. lindleyi (a delightful species anyway) took the pain away.

14 years ago

That should be romanized 'abdelkuri'.

E. abdelkuri also figured prominently in the only C&S detective story that I know of - it was the murder weapon.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES