Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring/Easter Cactus ~~ dead flowers?

Posted by Lamora 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 11:42

Hi all.. and yes, I said it both ways~ :) I hope your weekend is going well for everyone.

My EC is growing good. I have 2 different colors in one pot and both are doing well. Both plants bloomed when they should have last May, one color dropped the flowers after the blooming was over, the other one didn't, it still has dead flowers on the end of the plant, but the segements are still growing under the flowers.. (was told to leave them alone, let them drop when they would)

My question: If the old flowers don't drop off, What is going to happen next Spring when they flower again?

I don't want to pull the old flowers off, (yes, I am afraid) Sould I let it be the way it is? Or should I take them off. I know Spring is a ways away yet, but dead flowers bugg me... ;) This EC has bugged me since it didn't drop the flowers, but it doesn't seem to be bothering the plant itself.

Any advice/imput/info/personal exp would be greatly apprecieated.
Thanks in advance
Marjie :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring/Easter Cactus ~~ dead flowers?

If the flowers are brown and detach from the plant with a slight touch, it is simply that they haven't been subjected to mechanical means of disassociation (lack of wind). If they don't fall with a touch, check for the base of the flower and see if it is swollen. This could be a seed pod, or, like many times with these, a sterile fruit. My experience is that these pseudo-fruit never mature and they persist for a couple of years. It doesn't affect the plant leaving them or taking them off.

If a lot of brown flowers are left, they are likely not attached and gently shaking the plant dislodges most of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here