Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Agave Problems- yellow/shriveled leaves

Posted by redpony034 Louisiana (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 11:42

Hi-

Large agave (appx 4 to 5 years old, started as a sucker/pup) has always been healthy/vigorous, but now has yellowing leaves!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Smaller agave (same age, but never has been as healthy) has super shriveled brown leaves.

Photobucket

They used to live outside most of the year, but I moved into an apartment and I had to take them to work with me since I have no real windows/patio. I've never been super clear on watering them. I used to just leave them outside.

I am more concerned about the large agave.

Thanks in advanced... Any tips?? Both agaves have pups...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Agave Problems- yellow/shriveled leaves

That is normal leaf scenesce. Notice that the most dry and shriveled leaves are the oldest and lowest. You may be underwatering a little, causing the plant to resorb and recycle the leaves water and nutrients. They look fine to me. No worries. You can remove the lowest leaves when completely dry.

Brad

o

Red Pony,

In the spring, I'd think the plant would benefit from a repot in fresh, more porous soil. Cut the soil you're using with perlite at a 50/50 ratio.

Brad,

I was thinking that myself, but have too few large agaves to have been sure.

o

I've been having the same problem with mine this year, which stinks, because they are from a much larger plant that actually grew in my yard in SC. Here in Buffalo, lol another story... I am due to re-pot mine, so, I'll check things out then...Thanks everyone !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here