Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bowiea Bloom is boring

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 11:49

My Bowiea volubilis is blooming for the first time. It's still small, about egg size. It can be seen in the background. The flowers are pretty boring. My Bowiea gariepensis blooms are nothing special but much nicer then it's cousin's. It should be in bloom in the next month or so.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A couple other blooms in the GH
Jatropha podagrica (Buddha Belly)

Photobucket

Huernia?
Photobucket

COT blooms finally getting darker.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bowiea Bloom is boring

Karen,

Yes, they're like Haws that way, aren't they? But also like Haws it's not their flowers we grow them for.

Jatropha flowers are so pretty.

And isn't that Schneider's Huernia (disclaimer: I have a Tshirt that says 'Have a Huernia')?

o

Thanks, I think that's the huernia ID and I'd rather have that type then the other.

All jatrophas I've seen have blooms that are prety similar but I wonder if all have seed pods that have an audible pop? When the pods on that plant open you can sometimes hear it and the seeds can shoot out 20 feet.

o

Karyn, I have been hoping my Jatropha that you gave me (same as pictured) would flower but not even close... is it age or sun or what?

o

Howard I'm surprised you haven't had blooms yet. I keep mine in full sun during the warm months and wherever I can fit them that's reasonably warm in the winter. They usually drop their foliage but for some reason mine are still growing. I'm guessing the one with almost ripe seed pods will go dormant after the pods burst. Just keep it somewhere with lots of light and warmth and give it some time.

o

Karyn, I'm curious about how often you water your jatropha in the winter?

My jatropha flowered for a few years, but this year there were no flowers. Mine goes outdoors for the summer and the foliage doesn't look as nice in full sun - perhaps that's what happened this year - it didn't get quite enough sun for flowers.

o

If it's completely dormant I don't water at all. Since they still have foliage, flowers and seed pods I water sparingly. During the summer they are well watered but I probably don't feed them as often as I should. I might remember to feed them 1x/yr (hangs head in shame).

o

Thanks, Karyn. That's what I do too. I find the transition periods tricky in terms of knowing how much water to give. I don't feed mine much either, but after seeing some that looked like they were on steroids at a local nursery this summer (they looked really good) I think I will feed a bit more once it has leaves again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here