A very bright morning in Agaveville

Posted by GermanStar 9b Arizona (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 11:51

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A very bright morning in Agaveville

Beautiful!!
Love the 3rd one!

It is a very nice morning here today. :-)

JoJo

o

Thank you. Early morning sun may be harsh, but I can never resist the bright colors it evokes!

o

Wow! You are living the dream.
You're going to get all these nice folks even more hooked on Agaves than they already are (for some that's not possible).

o

What part of Arizona are you in?
I'm in Tucson.
JoJo

o

Hi there! Tucson is a true Mecca for Agaves, much more so than my neck of the woods. You have some fabulous cactus/Agave nurseries, i.e. Bachs, B & B, Arid Lands, etc. I'm in the VOTS, more or less -- Fountain Hills.

This post was edited by GermanStar on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 13:49

o

I just love that first one. If it ever pups....hmmm.. What type is it ? I know you mentioned it but I forgot.

o

#1 is a bit of a mystery. It definitely has some substantial A. salmiana going on, but it just doesn't look quite right. My guess is an A. salmiana/A. americana hybrid. It has a small basal pup now, but it's wedged under a lower leaf and I can't get to it. When that leaf dies (likely next summer) and I have a shot at removing it, you're welcome to it.

o

I recognized the Salmiana in it. I have a recurving Salmiana ferox but I love the lean tallness and the marginal teeth are so un teated on this one compared to mine. It's form is beautiful. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against teats,,, LOL , I couldn't help myself.

o

Ahhh-gaves! Cannot get enough of them...very nice!

Please tell me the name of the one in the third pic from the top...?

Thanks!

Tom

o

That is A. zebra. You'll find another example of A. zebra in Pic #2.

o

So it's that kind of party.... Here's a not-so-bright one (5:49 a.m. in May) that I must have got from a Mesan friend and occasional visitor here - is this too A. zebra?

Photobucket

Thank you,

Jeff

o

I dun tink so. Looks more like A. americana from here....

o

I told you I'm terrible with IDing them - if it isn't A. applanata 'Cream Spike' I don't know what it is. I've got Greg's book, but don't have it, if you know what I mean, but will have it when I meet you. Thanks - that's one down and 13 to go.

o

A couple more from this morning...

o

Beautiful agaves all. But Im definitely going to get a A. zebra now! I really need to relocate to a warmer climate.

o

A. zebra is on my short lust over list but I am still a bit wary of it because it is very moisture intolerant or that is what I am lead to believe from its description.

o

Yes, A. zebra is considered one of the more xeric species, but on the plus side, it's relatively hardy and tolerates full sun (always a plus here in the Valley). I have four of 'em, and a few highly cherished pups, as well (A. zebra is typically solitary).

o

An A. zebra in every pot, I say!

One for me too...I poked around a bit, looking for a pot-sized specimen that might be available. Not much luck, and not sure if shipping this time of year is a good idea...

I also think they get pretty hefty, no?

If you guys bump into any that are available, would you please post?

Thank you!

Tom

Tom

o

Not one of your larger Agaves, see Post #1, Pic #2 for a sense of scale. The Agave in back is only about 4' across.

o

4 ' is not large to me but large for those that depend on greenhouses to get them through the winter. I would guess that I am barely marginal here. cold sometimes comes with wet. not this winter, but some. This winter, no cold, no rain in over 2 months. It is a desert agave from the Sonoran desert mountains of western mexico. it is from supposedly the hottest and driest area of North America. I wonder if they get winter moisture .Those crossbanded stripes are like honey to this bee.

I better get out there and plant those other agaves before I start thinking about acquiring anything more.

o

OK, but look at the pic I referenced, the A. zebra is not the 4-footer. The Agave behind the A. zebra is about 4' across. This is not a particularly large plant.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 21:52

eye candy for Agave lovers, thanks! :)

o

I only found A. zebra on-line for 30$. And that's for a 7" plant. As far as being xeric I really need to revamp my potting soil first. I have already lost A. utahnesis and neomexicana sunspot this summer under heavy rains.

o

You can likely get a 5-gal sized plant from B & B Cactus in Tucson, A. zebra is frequently counted amongst their stock. They don't sell online, but they will ship if you call them and order over the phone. Of course, you're going to want to wail until April or so at this point.

o

Thanks GS, I will check them out. They never came up on a Google search.

o

GS -

Thanks for the lead on B&B. I have read that A. zebra is hardy to 15F...have you known B&B to toss in a heat pack and ship?

Thanks!

Tom

o

Sorry, no clue, B & B is a storied walk-in nursery with an Int'l reputation, they don't actively seek this type of business, but will accommodate bare-root shipments. You'd just have to call and ask, I suppose. The info on this link looks hopeful...

Here is a link that might be useful: B & B Cactus Farm

o

@wantonamara: Pup alert!

o

Available for trade, this is shaping up as an enormous pup. That little monster is nearly 3" across. It's huge.

o

YES , I am interested!. God knows what I have that you don't already have. LOL I will email you some time this evening with a more comprehensive list.

o

Pupdate.

o

More pupdate. Little guy is now vertical.

o

And a solo shot...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here