Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Crassula almost died.. suggestions plz on how to save it.

jojosplants
11 years ago

My summer was tough and had it's share of hardships so my plants sadly suffered. :-( I thought this one was a gonner but when I unpotted it , there are roots trying to come back and a tiny new growth.

I have repotted it in Gritty mix, and for now it's resting. What else can I do for it?

Should I remove all the wrinkled leaves, to give plant more energy for new growth? They've been that way for weeks now. or will they plump back up.?

This plant is kinda hard to find, so I would hate to lose it. I feel so bad about the neglect, and hope I can save it.

Crassula arborescens undulatifolia (Sapkamma Sta.)

{{gwi:696650}}

Sorry about the dark pic. it was overcast and macro just did not want to behave!

{{gwi:696651}}

{{gwi:696652}}

{{gwi:696653}}

TIA

JoJo

Comments (26)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

jj,

Less sun / heat in the summer. Spring and fall would be its months to grow, along with winter. Try growing it in the summer there is like celebrating mittens in Massachusetts this morning, it doesn't compute. With most Crassulaceae, they don't like extremes, and you have too much light / heat in the summer for it to want to do anything but be very quiet until more clement conditions prevail.

• elichka
    11 years ago

i had the same problem w/exact same plant. it was receiving only morning sun, but probably its more sensitive than regular Jade. I just mist it regularly to prevent rot from overwatering. and its plumping up. I would not remove the leaves. Maybe by spring....

Inna

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Jeff!
    I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. I do realize our summers are harsh. It did rest for the summer and was in a shaded area under patio/huge shrub.

It was the spring it was forgotten. My husband had surgery in April, and by mid may plants were sadly forgotten..
    It just didn't get watered in the spring when it was active.
    And now it is shriveled, but getting new roots.

My biggest concern was do I need to remove the old wrinkled leaves.

I appreciate your help and , always follow your advice, so if I'm missing something in what you posted, please bear with me. ;-) and help me to understand. :-)

I've been away for so long I feel like a newbie. ;-(

JJ

11 years ago

Yes, to reestablish you repot, removing some, but not all leaves, and spritz daily until you see new growth - then you can start watering the soil. It's going to be primarily inactive in the summer, but you have all winter and spring to reestablish it.

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jeff!
    Now to find that darn spray bottle! Its around here somewhere. :-)

Trying to get life and plants back on track.

Inna,
    Where did you get yours? This did great the first summer I had it, and it came from a Greenhouse here. Just things have been a little bumpy here since Jan.

What do you have yours growing in? I have all mine in a gritty mix and no problems with rot or over watering.

JoJo

• elichka
    11 years ago

JoJo

I got mine fr ebay 1 year ago. 3" cutting unrooted. My plants are in gritty mix also. I think because your roots are recovering and not that great its better to mist the whole plant. i swear my plant looked the same in September but now back to normal(almost). I think the leaves are thinner than regular Crassula Ovata thats why its so sensitive.

Inna

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The leaves are thinner than others that's for sure. Live and learn and hope next season is a better one.

Still looking for the bottle. Guess I will buy a new one tomorrow. lol...

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Oh next year will be, and especially with all the support here and the your new founded happiness!:-)))))

You will always have us Jojo.

We will always be around.

Mike

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

JoJo, still looking for the bottle? That's kinda my problem, too ;) Seriously, nice jade you have there, I know you can save it! Good luck, and welcome back.

Jeff, "celebrating mittens in Massachusetts this morning..." took me a while to get it, being one of the 47%.

Christopher

11 years ago

Christopher,

I have no idea what you're talking about but I loved the bottle line - almost a spray moment.

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

Jeff, it was the day after the election, though your 'mittens' line was referring to MITT.

Christopher

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Christopher!
    Yes I am, it's been a rough week! LOL! Rough year!
    As for the spray bottle, need to buy a new one. Turns out the guys stole it because the one for the animals bit the dust. lol..

Thank you for the welcome back! :-) I know you had in another post and I couldn't remember which one. :-/ Rough week. lol.. Anyway.. good to see you! and good to be back. I've missed friends and plants!

JoJo

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

JoJo,
    I'd keep the leaves for now. If they're going to fall, they'll be dropping pretty soon.
    And with such nice root-growth, I'd stick to traditional root-watering, particularly in Gritty Mix.
    Water, warmth, and sun...and some light fertilizer in a few weeks or so.

I think it's going to look great!

Josh

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

JoJo:

I am one who never forgets kind words...I've had a rough couple of years myself, but always look to the brighter future.

I agree with Josh, who knows more than a thing or two about jades. I am sure your in your able hands your jade will come back to health soon.

Christopher

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Josh!
    I picked off just a few that looked horrible and were bugging me. 5 or 6 lol..

It's going to get cold tonight , should I bring it in for a few days?

I love this plant and it was hard to come by, I would hate to lose it!

Christopher.. thanks. :-) Trying to look to brighter future!

JoJo

11 years ago

JoJo,
    hopefully you only removed the dried leaves on the lowest portion of the trunk :-)
    And yes, I sure hope you brought it indoors! All mine are in now...we hit 30F last night!

Josh

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh.. Yes.. just off the bottom.. and no.. did not remember to bring in! Im so bad! busy with a million things yesterday and forgot. All seem fine, no frost. I don't know how cold it got yet though. :-/

JoJo

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Yes, I am with Chris on that> I too never forget the kind deeds of others!

Jojo, this is one reason why I am so happy you are back. You also help liven up the forums:-)

Jojo.....Shame...lol

I am sure with Josh's help everything will be just fine. He is the 'Guru' on jades! After all, all the jade talk we have through the years had thus far has been an asset for me.

Mike

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike , I know.. my bad! LOL! Well its in now, in an east window, and the room has no heat at night. It's an add on and never got heat or cooling added. my plant/craft room. During the day when i'm around I can move it to a huge south window in the same room.
    Josh! 30! Burrrr... I am not ready for winter! find it depressing..

Mike... thanks.. :-) Not so sure I liven up the forums, but i'm sure I amuse my friends. lol...

hugs! share with mom.. ;-)

JoJo

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm seeing improvement and a little new growth! Leaves are looking more plump!
    JoJo

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

JoJo, looks like it is going to be fine. Good job!

Christopher

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    11 years ago

JoJo

Looks better, definitely!
    Isn't that great-didn't even take that long, hope it makes you happy. Rina

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Christopher~~ Thanks! :-) I think it will be fine too. :-) My bratty bird got out the other day and chewed a little on a leaf though. lol...

Hi Rina :-) It is making me happy. ;-) I felt really bad about getting behind on my plants care. So I"m glad to see it making a come back!

JoJo

• norma_2006
    11 years ago

JoJo I don't know you yet, but want to help, you can ask Pirate Girl about my credentials, I know this plant well, yes remove the old stuff, and stop misting, water it thoroughly then leave it alone, I hardly water mine in the hot summers, and they flower for me this time of the year. They are winter growers and if you cut them back in October and don't water until then, give them a little fertilizer they will flower for you for Christmas, I have on opening pink right now.I abuse mine all summer, July 15-Oct 15. they can take temps down to 20F/ the grow in Africa on rocky hillsides in the Eastern side of the cape so they really don't like much water and it can actually harm them. Pirate Girl know what I'm talking about, she lives in the East. I live on sthe West Coast and ;; have 25 counting the species that you have. Yours is 'Silver Dollar' and I know the latin name but would need to look up the spelling.
    The barks are all different which to me is the interesting part of the plant. and helps ID which one it is, the leaves are different sizes and colors. Take a cutting and restart but let it dry out first to seal over, this is a perfect time to do so. Norma

• jojosplants
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Norma,
    It's nice to see you.

This poor thing took more abuse than most this summer and our temps are pretty extreme, with very low humidity. so I"m glad to see it on the mend. I would like to take cuttings, but the plant only has 3 branches, so not sure I will this season.

Thank you for your help. :-)

JoJo

11 years ago

Hey, JoJo, it is coming back nicely!
    You are so right. Definitely don't take any cuttings while the plant is recuperating.

(The Latin name you provided in the first post: Crassula arborescens undulatifolia). ;-)

Josh