Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Tag says Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Got this a couple days ago, thanks for looking. Do you think it was labeled correctly? It was very dry, limp, the leaves are smooth, looks a little sunburned to me.

{{gwi:108192}}

{{gwi:108194}}

{{gwi:108196}} {{gwi:108198}}

Comments (15)

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Looks like it needs a good drink,other than that,nice plant.
    Kathi

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, and I agree, I did that. It's just now firming up, man it was dry, good eye. Is this the kind of plant that needs to make a flower before people know what it is for sure? Not very familiar with Epi's.

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

That's the way it works for me,because there are sooooo many plants that look like that,so I wait til I get a bloom so I can id it.
    Kathi

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree with Kathi. Several of my orchid cactus looks similar to the above but are different.

Of course, all of mine are NOID's. I just know them by color...red, white, pink...LOL!

• kathi_mdgd
    10 years ago

Me too Camilla,I have a few pink one and white ones and last year a neighbor gave me one that is almost red.I need to get a yellow one.
    Kathi

• teisa
    10 years ago

Purple,

I think it is a great find! I wish I could find one that big in my area! No matter what color it blooms it is a Beauty! TFS!

Original Author
    10 years ago

OK I see what y'all mean, TYVM! Whenever it blooms, I'll be back with pics.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Well now I'm wondering what generally triggers blooming in these plants, if possible to discuss generally? Day length?

Original Author
    10 years ago

This thing sure seems happy! I've taken cuttings several times already. Very fun plant, whatever it is. I figure if there's several versions of it around, that increases the chances of one of them feeling like blooming sometime...

• dirt_farmer
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I have a couple of epi's and in my opinion they really like morning sun. Mine have bloomed when they get the summer morning sun. But epi's will sunburn. You sorta got to figure out a place to put them were they get lots of morning sun but diffuse sunlight the rest of the day. Other people I'm sure have different experiences but that's what works with mine.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Tiffany,

Increased daylength and warmth - IIRC, these are spring / summer bloomers, so if you're going to repot it, I'd do it soon so the plant takes advantage of its new home. It certainly looks mature enough to flower. Nice jungle cactus!

• paloma_2009
    10 years ago

Hello! from Merlo, San Luis, Argentina! after moving from the us back to my favorite place, gardenweb!

just got my Epi oxi, blooming for the first time in 3 years! and Iôm happy.

Question: if I make a new plant from a cutting, how long would it take to bloom?
    I bought this already large plant and it took 3 years to bloom, maybe not good conditions?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=221075604745874&set=a.119145588272210.1073741840.100005303071030&type=1&theater

the old leaves are a bit damaged because I had it outside under a large tree, but winds & hale did the damage, now in a winter garden!
    happy 2014 to all these nice bunch of gardeners!

This post was edited by paloma_2009 on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 7:47

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    10 years ago

Paloma,

Hola! You might want to repot that soon for the spring growing season - wait, it's summer there, isn't it? You could prune the old scraggy growth on that, but I'd wait until there is new growth evident. I don't think it generally works for a cutting to flower regularly until it's a certain size and maturity on its own, but it does happen sometimes, just not usually. Hybrids of the genus do tend to flower faster.

• bob61
    10 years ago

If it is oxy. it is a young plant and will get huge so a larger pot is needed.

Bob

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the inputs, much appreciated!

Good luck, Paloma! your link. For everyone to see it, the privacy setting of this pic needs to be 'public.' You could also attach it to this discussion by using the browse button. I'd love to see it.

I've noticed a lot of the new growth on my plant is more cylindrical vs. flat and wide. Most of the newest growth had tons of aerial roots. Is there any significance to this? The urge to make 167 new plants is overwhelming. I want to see blooms though.