Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spikef35

Winter time in Texas dormancy and care

spikef35
9 years ago

So I'm getting ready for winter it's getting cold question is how can i heat the greenhouse how do I put plants into and out of dormancy can i put succulents in the green house and how do i take care of plants in the ground in winter

Comments (14)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Spike, two things are your friends...details and punctuation...unless you are e e cummings.

tj

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry haha

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

I type the same way I talk too period
    Kind of fun isn't it spike question mark
    Good thing we don't talk the way we type explimation point

Asked: how can i heat the greenhouse

Responce: Do you mean the thick plastic bag that houses a rack ? Said same rack holds plants off the ground ?
    If answering yes to both of the last two questions leads to my second responce
    Second reponce NOT A GOOD IDEA

Asked : how do i take care of plants in the ground in winter

Responce: Kneel on a floor use left palm in right palm & hand while pressing fair but firm pray ?

Asked: how do I put plants into and out of dormancy

Responce: You don't. In theroy they go dormant on there own, not as part of a majic trick. A second theory still in developing stage is, plants also break dormacy on there own.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do we have here a troll how rude i don't talk like this on this forum garden web administrators take action :( that was quiet mean hahaha

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Spike, I know nothing about greenhouses. I don't need one in SW Florida. So sorry, I cannot offer any advice there.

What area of Texas are you in? If you have prolonged freezes, you may do better digging up your plants and bringing them inside. It may depend on your plants, some like semps can tolerate a freeze, but that would be my advice. You can cover plants for the occasional frost. Here, I get some nights with 2-3 hours near freezing. I can throw a towel or sheet over my plants and they are OK. That will not work if the temp is much lower and lasts longer.

And they should not be watered when the temp is low. Cold and wet will lead to their demise.

Hope that helps . . . at least a little.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

I don't have a greenhouse but I do grow some succulents in the ground in central texas west of austin these have some hardiness I cover them with a frost cloth when it gets to the mid 20s i use leaves and blankets if it goes lower than that I have been known to stuff black pots with newspaper leaves or anything that will hold heat and cover plants with them i pray a lot and move the more sensitive ones inside on rolling coffee tables I cover some large succulents outside with a blanket sheet frost cover and put a heating pad or christmas light into the bundle I hope you have done this already because it is freezing out there.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in houston i start my freeze protocol when it gets to 33 or below i grow a large aloe and 4 agaves in the ground

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I think Mara has given you some good advice. And I have also heard you can turn a garbage can upside down on the plant to protect it.

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx :)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

what kind of aloe do you have there are aloe and there are aloes they can have drastically different hardiness characteristics i have aloes that are hardy to low 20's - 19 outside they do not even get covered tonight and i will get to 28 tonight but i have some tough aloes out there i know my species it does not mean that the leaves will not be damaged but the aloes will live and grow more if it is wet they can die of rot the combination of cold and wet is a killer

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian Kemble list of Hardy aloes

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aloe vera

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Aloe vera is a conglomerate of a couple of species rumor has it in the wikipedia below that it is hardy to z 8 don't believe it Uncovered I find that it freezes to the ground and struggles back from the roots it dies on the really bad cold fronts covered it fares better there are two types of aloes commercially that are called aloe vera aloe vera var chinensis aloe barbadensis dg has a barbadensis hardy to 20-25 barbidensis blooms yellow the other blooms reddish orangish pinkie is aloe vera varchinensis is hardy 20 - 25 it is the smaller spotted one that pups ferociously.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alo vera

• spikef35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx tepetures rarely go below 28 here

• nomen_nudum
    9 years ago

Did the troll got a responce for you ?