Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david90531

Year-end last hurrah 3: Variegated spotted ox tongue!

DavidL.ca
9 years ago

This third plant I got from online is also from France, and it's my first ever Gasteria! Have wanted one of these since forever, but the nurseries around me don't always have them, and when they do it's not really the kind I want. Originally I wanted a "Frosty", but when I saw this guy I knew it would be a perfect addition to my Haworthias section :)

The label reads Gasteria "Shimano Fuji", I'm assuming it's a Japanese cultivar? I've seen a few others online, but this one really "variegated" nicely I think, and the little pups are just adorable

This is seller's photo:
{{gwi:697097}}

The plant arrived in perfect condition, looking just like the photo, even though I was quite worried since it's already close to freezing temperature here when the plant was on its way... shows how tough these little guys are.

Potted :)
{{gwi:697099}}

{{gwi:697101}}

This one pup is completely yellow at the moment
{{gwi:697104}}

{{gwi:697106}}

One more plant on the way... stay tuned :)

Comments (21)

• LilBit7765
    9 years ago

I LOVE it David!!! Let me know if you ever want to part with a pup! I have greenhouse friend who is giving me one but she's making sure it's big enough. Not sure of the EXACT name but once I get it I'll post pics. GREAT LOOKING PLANT!!!! LOVE IT!!

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! :) Okay, I don't have any experience separating pups, but I'm assuming it's not too difficult? Shipping from Canada to US might be quite expensive though, just a heads up.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

David

Beauty!

I am not sure -research it- but I think that all-white may not survive on it's own. Just be sure, it's gorgeous.

(Wait until they are bit bigger anyways). Rina

• breton2
    9 years ago

That is beautiful all right! Maybe we could trade some Gasteria pups when spring comes around!

• saj_2002
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! Great looking plant!!

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

beautiful plant!!!! I need to add one to my collection but I'm waiting for spring. It is already insanely cold here. Although you say your in Canada, so it may be colder where you are. We've got highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits. Its terrible!!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

That is a really cool plant!

Josh

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    9 years ago

Rina is right. Most all white plants can't make food to stay alive. Must be left connected. Hopefully it gets some more green in it when it gets a little bigger.
    That is a beautiful plant. Good luck with it.
    Stush

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Very nice, indeed. This and your yellow striped zebra are both great plants. You'd think a Green Bay Packer fan like myself would have one of these.

Thanks for both posts.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra thread.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for the response!

@stush & Rina Thanks for the information on the white pup. I will keep an eye on it and make sure I don't separate it unless it has more green in it. (I need to learn how to separate pups first anyway, haha)

@breton sounds good! I never traded plants before :P

@Deva yeah, I was worried because it's already near freezing temperature in Canada for awhile (today is -5 Celsius...)

@tj thanks for linking my other thread :D I have another plant in my year-end last hurrah plants, I'm glad you enjoy the posts :))

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Today I found out that the little pure yellow seedling has died off.. It looked like it could be rot since it was all soft and mushy (not brown though). Rest of the plant looks fine so I hope the rot won't spread I have my windows opened and fans going to make sure everything dries. I guess it's true that pure variegated ones are the hardest to keep :(

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Im SOOOO SORRY David! :(

It was a beauty. But hopefully you can save the momma plant and she'll make more. here's the one I was talking about about earlier in the thread. Mine doesnt look exactly like yours, to me my leaves look more pointier, yours looks nicer :( obviously mine is a different type of plant lol) Dont mind the horrid soil. I just got it a few weeks ago and I pick my gritty mix and supplies up from my friends house tomorrow. When it pups, you are more than welcone to one.

Hopefully my pic loads, ive tried four times no to no avail. Hmmm. Well if it doesnt post ill try later.

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Look forward to seeing your pics LilBit :) Thanks for the encouragement. The other pups and the mom are looking okay so far, I don't know if I should pull them out or just leave them in. The soil is drying out now so I hope it will be alright

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Photos taken today. Other than the one seedling, everyone else is looking good...

• DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Haha sorry @deva didn't mean to make you become a plant hoarder too! xD. I just posted a new thread for more plants, lol...

• LilBit7765
    8 years ago

I wonder why just tge one rotted David. Theyve grown quite a bit!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    8 years ago

David
    It looks really nice. Is there another 'albino' pup lurking there? (Top photo in your last post, behind two-leaved var. pup).
    Rina

DavidL.ca thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@Lilbit Oh wow, I didn't even realize how some of them have grown quite a lot until I just compared the photos, haha! I wondered too, that's why I was terrified that the others might get affected so I pulled all the leaves right off when I saw the mushiness.. People said that the albinos are harder to survive on their own, I wonder if they're more prone to overwatering or other negative factors as well.

@Rina As much as I can see right now, there seem to be one that looks pure yellow with a hint of light green, so it could be an albino pup, but everyone else is normal (did a head count, there are 7 pups in total)

• ehuns27 7a PA
    8 years ago

Hi David, beautiful plant!

Albino plants have trouble surviving typically due to a lack of chlorophyll (green color). Chlorophyll is essential for capturing sunlight and energy.

-Erica

DavidL.ca thanked ehuns27 7a PA
  • DavidL.ca
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@Erica thanks!!