Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beaucamea recurvata (ponytail palm) pruning question

Posted by tom_termine z5b MA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 12:03

Hi -

If you wanted to stop a ponytail palm branch from extending further, is it okay to prune the branch partway down the foliage cluster? Essentially, I would be pinching the growth tip out of the branch, but not removing the entire length of the foliage on the branch. Would the plant respond well to that kind of haircut?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beaucamea recurvata (ponytail palm) pruning question

Tom,

Long time...

Cutting a growing point may result in growing two or more heads, but as far as extension elimination, I'd lob the limb. What you suggest, while I don't know for sure, I'd think it would result in two growing points on that limb, which again I think the limb wouldn't support. It's all so hypothetical.

o
RE: Beaucamea recurvata (ponytail palm) pruning question

Hello Jeff -

Yes, I have been scarce lately...I hope to dive back in to our discussions with more vigor going forward.

My hope was that this plant would respond as you describe. Essentially stopping the branch from lengthening (while retaining some foliage on it), then perhaps popping another bud or two. Maybe I'll give it a try tonight...

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here