Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cacti needs help

Posted by Aneesa 4b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 12:05

Hi everyone,
i really need some help. I'm from Trinidad (of Trinidad and Tobago). My cacti is losing colour and bending. I have tried watering it once a week, putting it nearer to the sun, adding more cactus soil. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone please advise me on what to do to make my beloved cacti better again? Help is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cacti needs help

i just checked it. The soil was completely dry so I gave it some water and flowering plant food. Any advice is appreciated. The stem of the yellow cactus is rotting. The white spot in the photo is now considerably larger. Can anyone give me the correct name of the coloured cacti? Thanks

o
RE: Cacti needs help

Ah, I'm so sorry. I had a ruby ball ( red top) and a moon cactus ( orange top) and lost them to rot. I'm still a novice, but this has happened to me. I wouldnt take my advice without getting an opinion from a more experienced cactus person or googling several sites. But it might be helpful to share my experience, FYI. in my case the rot was at the bottom in the roots .., I cut the bottom half off with a sterile sharp knife, dressed the wound with sulfur powder and let the cactus dry on a dish for 3 days, until it got a callous. Then I put it in new soil... It did fine for a month and then died. Now I'm not sure if what I did helped , because the problem was my apartment was very moist and dark..,I've since moved to a dry apartment on flood stilts ... I haven't had a casualty since.
Btw the cacti with the colored tips are actually two cacti grafted together the colored one is a mutation that has no chlorophyll and must live off the bottom cacti's chlorophyll. The bottom cacti is a tropical cactus, the top a desert cactus... So it's very hard to take care of these guys,IMO, from the start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here