Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alaura3

Trying to save my euphorbia leuconeura!

Alaura3
10 years ago

Hello!

I have a large Euphorbia leuconeura which is in bad shape and I would really like to save!

It used to have a bunch of leaves but then I had to move and didn't know that I needed a permit to take it across the border so had to leave it with a friend for about 6 months. Now it has almost no leaves, some of the branches are dead and I just noticed today that parts of the stem seem to be rotting.

What should I do to nurse my poor plant back to health?? Please help!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

We would like a picture so we might provide better information. I grow these by the dozens, so let's see a pic and we can go from there.

• Alaura3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response!

Here are some pictures. I suspect that it lost most of the leaves after the move but she continued to water it every week.

If it can't be saved I would at least like to take the top off and root it as the top still seems good. Could someone tell me how to do that properly?

Thanks so much for the help!

• Alaura3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another pic

• Alaura3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

one more

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

From your picture, I can't tell much about its overall health/condition. Try posting at least one overall picture and we will look again. The picture I have included is one of many seedlings I have currently growing.

• Alaura3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did put one full one but maybe it didn't work. Here is is again. Thanks!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

Alaura, I don't know the age of your plant but it appears very etiolated as though it hasn't had enough sunlight. This species is from a more moist area of Madagascar and usually grows as a low growing shrub. They like lots of light; not necessarily direct sun as this causes the leaves to turn red/purple and this color change is not reversible. The picture (taken today) is of my stock plant that is at least 25 years old. Granted, I keep it in a smaller sized pot so its growth is somewhat restricted. I don't know for certain, if cutting the top off of yours, allow it to callous and trying to root it will work with this species. IMHO, you haven't anything to lose. The top will begin to branch next growing season.

• pirate_girl
    10 years ago

Hi,

May I add any of those branches drooping or facing down w/ a seeming bend in their middle should be cut off, as I doubt they'll recover. I'd cut them at the bend.

What kind of mix is it in pls. & how long since it was changed? Am guessing it's not a porous mix, as it should be.

I used to grow one near my kitchen window which gave it lots of bright, but indirect light which it seemed to like.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    10 years ago

I can't speak for Karen, but the "drooping" arms probably will never be more upright. As long as you can handle them pointing down, they will/should be fine.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Sorry, I can't help with your plant but I would cut it like suggested by Howard.

Howard, that is one nice looking plant you have - whoa! 25 years!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths