Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hijole

Out With The Old, In With The Shoe:

hijole
11 years ago

Didn't take much to shoe horn these succulents.

Comments (14)

• Ron4310
    11 years ago

Looks great!

• Polly381
    11 years ago

Wow I have seen shoes planted before but that one has class. LOL

• greenlarry
    11 years ago

Best use of pointless footwear ever! Looks cool.

• paul_
    11 years ago

Considering you used a shoe ... a member of the Stapelia family would have been an amusing choice of plant. heh

• sherryinmaine
    11 years ago

Greg, last Spring, the Bangor Flower & Bulb show had an exhibit of something similar. The Bangor Garden Club's members chose plants & shoes that went best together. Some were succulents, some floral & some vining. Might have even had a cactus, cant remember. They also had asked local artists for paintings that would best 'match' or enhance the shoe/plant arrangement. People got to vote on their favorite display and painting, and which they thought was best matched.
    Fun!
    And, good match up, Greg.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Greg, you're having too much fun down there! ;-)

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Greg...lol...Not bad.

Mike

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    11 years ago

Greg,
    Plaes tell me those are not your shoes. Nice to hear from you. Come back to the Sans forums.
    Stush

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone,

Please let me start off with responding to "Stush" A resounding NO! those are not my sneekers but rather my wifes shoes,, you missed another post I mentioned she had got rid of some old shoes so I swooped up on them and planted these beauties, and Something I thought of as I was tossing them out I said, "umm this would make for good fast drainage with the high heels."

greenman Josh, Hey you know once the weather gets a lil cold we have too get creative, I also had to bring my Sans. Bantel back inside too, I was just thinking boy back to where we started indoors.
    My new shoot has grown about 6 0r 7 inches high so far not bad for a plant that was abused Terribly.

sorry I'll be back just got called out.

Greg

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

No worries, Greg!
    I had to bring my Bantel's in, too....about a week ago. It's tucked into a sweet little spot
    next to an eastern light exposure now. I still haven't organized the plants; it's one big jumble
    in the living room!

Josh

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sherryinmaine, Thanks, not bad for a dude huh, Lol...

Mike, Thanks too bro.

Paul, not even sure what that type of plant that is so maybe you can throw one up for us to see.
    I'll be looking.

GreenLarry, Pointless is right because this shoe was on it's way to shoe heaven quick. :)

Polly, Class is right and the students are the succulents Lol... Just kidding class, I get it CLASS, Yeah baby!!!

Ron 4310, Thanks to all.fun times in the garden.

Greg

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

That's so much more attractive than a cottage cheese tub or so many of my other "pots." Cool idea!

• paul_
    11 years ago

Posted by hijole
    Paul, not even sure what that type of plant that is so maybe you can throw one up for us to see.
    I'll be looking.

Stapelia? I'm sure you seen pics of them before, Greg. Succulents with star/starfish shaped flowers -- some very large -- and many noted for their ... ahem ... "fragrance".

Here is a link that might be useful: Stapelia photos via Google

• hijole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Awesome I'll find another shoe and plant it in, of course I need to find the plant 1st, nice spieces.

Greg