Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sowngrow

Always a plantaholic, now a succulentaholic!

sowngrow (8a)
10 years ago

Hello, my name is Robin and I'm obsessed with succulents these days! Just thought I'd say hello to you all on this forum as I've been checking out the posts for a couple months now and will probably be posting from time to time. Here's a pot of succulents I planted recently. Then pot is actually 10" wide, which is difficult to tell, from the photo.

Comments (23)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Hi Robin & welcome to the forum, coming out of lurk-dom. =)

Yes, I can relate...coming out of a Plantaholic state to one of succulents. It happened with me, more out of necessity...survival...for my plants. :P

Nice pot of sux you have there! Looking forward to more pix!

• tneomi
    10 years ago

I have the same disease since September this year - registered a minute ago
    Here is part of my collection

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi rosemariero-thank you!
    Tneomi-Nice collection you have there!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Welcome to succulent hood from another Z8 Texan. Mine are still outside (mostly) in this near freezing fog and drizzle that we are having today. They are under a deck cover. So far, they are good. The more delicate ones are inside.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Tneomi, welcome to you, too! Nice collection you've started. Watch out! You've got the bug! Start making room! :P

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi wantonamara-Thank you! I've got several pots of succulents in my unheated greenhouse. I made sure to pot up one of each of my favorites, to bring indoors-just to be on the safe side. I think I'll put a small heater out in the greenhouse prior to any temps. reaching much below freezing, this winter tho.

• tneomi
    10 years ago

Thanks rosemariero
    To find the right place for them is the main issue for now
    The winter temp here is moderate

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hi Robin, welcome! Me too! For 40 years I was fine without, then got a jade and some TC's and discovered pics of mini gardens & went immediately around the bend, and way more interested in the actual plants than finishing the mini garden. Also such a great bunch for someone more interested in making tons of tiny plants than leaving one alone to get to a grand old size. Sux seem to propagate seemingly overnight, often right out in the open where you can see what's going on. Anyone who hasn't played with Kalanchoe leaves in particular is really missing some fun.

Hi & welcome to you too, Tneomi. Cute collection!

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi purpleinopp-What are TC's? I'm not up on all the names of the succulents just yet, much less abbreviations! :)
    Thanks for the welcome. Looks like we're in similar zones. I'm actually in 8a.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Thanksgiving Cactus.

10 years ago

Yes, sorry about that. 'Tis the season for TC's, on my mind a lot at the moment. I almost bought more yesterday, madness!

• snailprincess
    10 years ago

Hi robin!
    I so know how you feel..^_^ I love my succulents...they are my babies. I really like how you arranged your plants, love the way succulents look with rocks and pebbles ...I think it reminds them of their home! I wish I had more room, I'd do alot more arranging myself.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

I too suffer from succulentomiosis

I have tons of succulents and cuttings all around my place. Some are in terracotta pots, others in egg cartons, others are in yogurt containers lol. Some planted straight in the ground.

Anyways my neighbors think I'm nuts.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi snailprincess-Thanks! I like the shiny rocks too! :)
    yorkimiki-I like that: "succulentomiosis!" It's quite fun to keep your neighbors guessing!
    Including another of my succulents, planted in a pot I made.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Beautiful pot, sowngrow!

yorkiemiki, I used to tell my co-workers that I was just there to keep them entertained. Now that I'm retired, it's the neighbors I have to keep entertained ("What is that woman doing now?).

Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

• tneomi
    10 years ago

This pot is very nice.
    Do you have drainage there?

10 years ago

Sow, I believe that's an Adromischus. Cute!

"succulentomiosis" Hilarious! A subset of houseisfullaplantsitis. Good therapy for the winter blues, cabin fever.

The pic below might be a little risqué for some. If you have small children, you may want to look at it when they're out of the room.

In the spring I will move this to a larger, hanging basket. Cuttings gone wild!

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

missingtheobvious-thank you!
    Tneomi-is it the white pot you are commenting on? Thank you. It's a very small pot, not glazed on the bottom and no hole for drainage. I am planning to transplant that succulent to another pot as I think the roots will grow and it won't be easy to remove it later on, due to the shape of the pot. I wasn't thinking about that when I first planted it.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes purpleinopp-the container it was in when I bought it, was labeled Adromischus cristatus.

• Fred_Li
    10 years ago

Beutiful pot. How about cook them? Just kiding. Expect more works from you.

• Fred_Li
    10 years ago

Hi, Tneomi,
    The Echeveriacv Bombycina at the up left corner in your picture looks so white and shining. Mine is a little dark at the edge of the plant. Do you know how to make it so white by sunshine more and less? Thank you.

• sowngrow (8a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funny Fred! I'll be sure to post more photos. :)

• tneomi
    10 years ago

Hi Fred
    It is not so white in reality
    i keep it outside in shade most of the day but with a lot of light
    It was re potted since this picture was taken
    This picture was taken today