Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

boo. new plant has da mealies =/

hookilau
9 years ago

Bah.

I got this mature-ish aeonium, and while mulling over what to do with it, I saw a suspicious spot on it & got out the ol' reading glasses. It passed inspection when it got here last week as well as daily inspections...but it's possible I missed it, this thing has multiple heads.

Yup. a freekin' mealybug. I haven't dumped his soil & repotted him yet, but I stood him on his head in a bowlful of soapy water & alcohol.

After about 30 minutes, I noticed that 2 mealies had floated to the surface of the water -_____-

I've added him to sick bay & onto the to-do list, a trip to the 99cent store to get more alcohol.

Then I started my morning inspection of the un-affected plants in another room under florescents.

A velour aeonium cutting that checked out when it first arrived also about a week ago, had a mealy. He got the 'silkwood' treatment too and joined his brethren in sick bay.

I'm not as bummed now as I was earlier today. On the bright side, all of the plants I had been treating have shown no signs of mealies & are putting on new growth.

New rules:

Daily inspections & hosing with alcohol every 3 days for the next month at *least*.

No more new editions that have not been inspected thoroughly with glasses dammmit.

No more ebay plants, so far, these have *all* had mealies with the exception of ONE seller =/

Comments (5)

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Yea I got a great deal on plants over ebay, but they had mealies. To my untrained eye and being new to the hobby, I overlooked them. Over the summer the 30 species I bought grew great. Its when fall came and I moved them inside did I discover that beneath the canopy, all the plants had white fuzz. Just about all died even after serious treatment, I caught them too late.

atm I still have mealies that show up on random plants, I keep treating my plants. They never ever fully die, after a month mealies will show up.

• hookilau
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I feel your pain.

I've been fighting mealies for 2 years!

But that was my fault...beginner at the time too, I didn't know what it was until the very same thing happened to me.

I brought them in for the winter & plants began to drop out one by one. I think the mistake I made was that I spot treated with a q-tip dipped alcohol. Obviously I must've missed a few because it went on until Spring. When I put them out again, I was able to kind of get a handle on it.

This time, I defoliated all the jades, leaving one or two leaves on each plant.

Bare rooted, washing away all soil & replacing with grittier mix & treated with alcohol in a spray bottle till they were just dripping with it.

Then put them up in front of West facing patio doors. I treat with alcohol every 3 days and inspect daily WITH my glasses (neglecting to do that no doubt contributed to my past issues).

I've read that some mealies, depending on the species, can be live bearers (blech) while another kind, the female dies & her body stays attached to the plant, protecting the eggs till they hatch (double blech).

I've also read that the life cycle from egg to crawler can be up to 10 days and up to 60 days to complete the life cycle. Continuous treatment until the cycle is broken is what I'm aiming for.

So. I've been treating every 3 days for the last 2 weeks and have not seen a single mealy, live or otherwise. I had started to slack off but then found 3 of my new additions had them.

Ebay -___-
    shaking fist.

I knew I should've quarantined them, I regret that I didn't. They got the 'silkwood' treatment though & hopefully, my daily inspections of the uninfected part of my collection remains that way.

Good luck with your own battle (holds fist in the air in solidarity) I sure hope eventually they'll go away for good.

• 0nametaken0
    9 years ago

Yea, I just wonder how people with hundreds of c&s in their greenhouses dont have mealies. I went to the botanical garden in my city (Toronto) a while back and loved the huge c&s section. I wondered how they dealt with mealies since there was no air flow. I asked the person working there and he just started on how annoying they were. They also have ants who protect the mealies, so even after they treat mealies, the ants bring them back. There are golden barrel cactus there that are a meter in width and height!!!

• brown_panda
    9 years ago

Hookilau would you mind telling me just how much soap and alcohol is in that mix you use? It doesn't harm even the furry and pruinose ones? I got around 20 new plants and it would be a pain to inspect, spot treat or spray all of them with alcohol. I didn't care before but my current collection seems to have spider mites. Thanks.

(You had me laughing at all that fist shaking).

Iane

• brown_panda
    9 years ago

So sorry, my messages keep getting posted twice, something's wrong with my connection.

This post was edited by brown_panda on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 5:46