Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fiona70

Epiphyllum overgrown?

Fiona70
10 years ago

Hi,
This is our first post to this forum, and actually the reason we joined garden web was due to this problem...
We've had an epiphyllum for 14 years now, and it has only bloomed twice, the last time was 4 years ago. Could someone have a look at this photo and let me know if it's overgrown? I'm not sure what to do with this. To be honest, we've sort of neglected it, not feeding it, or changing the soil. We do water it though :) Should I clip this, spread it out over a few pots, or what? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Comments (7)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Fantastic plant! Welcome to Gardenweb. Is there water sitting in the drip tray? So, same soil for 14 years?

• Fiona70
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! Yes, there's water in the drip tray, and yes, the same soil for 14 years...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

New soil might be good . AND in the spring give it a dark room that does not get a lot of night time lights being turned on. It needs a natural like /dark cycle. That helps with bud set. Also are you using a fertilizer with high nitrogen? DON"T. Switch to a low or No nitrogen fertilizer used at 1/4 recommended dilution. I start that in the late winter/early spring once a month waterings and I keep it up till Fall.

The leaves look like E. oxipetalum but it has a lot of leaves. Mine is much more open in habit and it blooms repeatedly all summer long. That said, I grow my plants in Texas and it is STILL outside and I will bring it in when Jeff (Cactusmcharris) sends his next shot of Canadian arctic air down this way and it reaches me. It is a bugger to get up onto it's winter perch.. It will be back out under its tree in February or Early March. I don't know much about getting plants to bloom in a northern clime. Look to where people are from who answer this question.

• teisa
    10 years ago

Well it certainly is an overgrown Beauty! It is gorgeous! I would love to see it in bloom. I would repot it, give it fertilizer like was suggested and I bet you will get blooms! I love Epiphyllums!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

In the summer, I up my waterings to once a week with 1/2 dilution of the of the no nitrogen fertilizer. I have mine in the shade outside under a small oak in part shade (not deep shade). I usually give it some extra drink in the middle of the week. we deal with lots of above 100 F.

If you are going to re pot it research the soil . I add a good deal of leaf mulch and pine bark to my cactus soil. These are tree plants so think what a tree plant would most likely be growing in. Drainage is still very important but the soil needs to be lighter and airier. They are a JUNGLE cactus and get water more often than their cousins.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

In the summer, I up my waterings to once a week with 1/2 dilution of the of the no nitrogen fertilizer. I have mine in the shade outside under a small oak in part shade (not deep shade). I usually give it some extra drink in the middle of the week. we deal with lots of above 100 F.

If you are going to re pot it, research the soil . I add a good deal of leaf mulch and pine bark to my cactus soil. These are arboreal plants so think what a tree plant would most likely be growing in. Drainage is still very important but the soil needs to be lighter and airier. They are a JUNGLE cactus and get water more often than their cousins.I like it when the water drains under the soil in 15 seconds.

There roots are a bit sensitive so be gentle when you transplant.

• greyghost61
    10 years ago

I have about 15 pots of assorted epiphylliums....I also live in zone 8b, mine spend most of the spring, summer and fall out of doors in shaded areas of my yard, they tend to bloom all sring and summer long,,,,,we have high humidity and a good bit of rain most summers.....they just keep growing and growing, I am always giving cuttings away....I have the night blooming ones and a goodly amount of hybrid orchid cacti.