Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caudex1

Plethera of Winter Growers

caudex1
15 years ago

Spent my day yesterday in the pouring rain moving the summer growers and replacing with winter. A variety of species, Tylecodon, Pelargonium, Othonna, Sedum, Pachycormus, Crassula and a few I can't remember.

{{gwi:700035}}

{{gwi:700037}}

{{gwi:700039}}

{{gwi:700040}}

{{gwi:700042}}

{{gwi:700044}}

Comments (12)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

What are the largest in pic 2 and the last?.yep,still learning.

• meg_awat
    15 years ago

Drool worthy pictures!
    Thank you for sharing!
    MegA

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stan,

In the 2nd photo on the left is Tylecodn wallichii and the right is Pelargonium carnosum. Is that what your talking about?

The last photo is another P.carnosum

Thank you meg!

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

THAT is just ridiculous! Your Tyledodons are amazing.

Wish I could keep them alive...

T

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

So, not exactly a "plethera", but here are two new winter growing seedlings of mine, plus my P. Cotyledonis in a new pot:

Pachycormus discolor:

{{gwi:700046}}

Euphorbia misera:

{{gwi:700048}}

Pelrgonium Cotyledonis:

{{gwi:700050}}

T

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tom,
    Your on your way ;0)

Nice pot!

To fatten up the Pachycormus put on a starvation diet, even neglect it. Your reward will be a nice fat base.

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

Thanks!

Interesting comment re: the Pachycormus. Starvation as far as feeding, or watering - or both? Right now, I am watering when it dries out (maybe 1-2 times a week), and I did drop a little Osmocote in there (I was trying to get it to pop some leaves - after I received the plant and had it potted it for a while, it kinda just sat there).

Should I water less and comb out the Osmocote?

Thanks.

T

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

If you water and feed it will become a tall spindly tree. When you stop feeding and limit water it will appear at 1st glance to be "just sitting there". There will be no foliage and little or no branch growth but the plant will go into increasing it's storage capacity and building girth.

Here's a photo from last year of my fattest one. Was leafless all summer then in Oct it rain for about a week and it flowered and grew a bit of branches and foliage. Only receives rain water during the winter and maybe every 4-6wks during the spring/summer/fall. The mix is almost completely grit, maybe 90%. It sits leafless probably 8-9mo out of the year and bakes in the hot sun during the summer similar to habitat. It's in a shallow 10in pot.
    {{gwi:700052}}

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

Nice.

How do you bake it in the hot sun in the summer without it getting rained on?

• TT, zone 5b MA
    15 years ago

also, do you think that pruning would have an impact on trunk thickening?

• caudex1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It doesn't rain here during the summer. Pruning will have some impact as it does with other species, but I think it would develop more of a thickened trunk than a bulbous base.

• mushibu10
    9 years ago

the thread maybe old but I have just started to grow Tylecodon Wallichii from seed, to know how it can look is fantastic!
    your have a fantastic collection!
    thank you