Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown marks on cacti

Posted by old-n England (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 12:59

I enclose a photo of a cucti with the brown marks, I have two cacti with these marks but this one can be see better.

http://i412.photobucket.com/albums/pp209/old-n/DSC03698.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown marks on cacti

Sorry, but what we need you to pls. provide here is the THIRD LINE in Photobucket, the one w/ the HTML code.

o

Here you go...Sorry I can't help you, hopefully someone here will be able to. Good luck!

o

This looks like a non-variegated growth from Opuntia monocantha variegata. I'm pretty sure it's not scale or any disease, just the natural process of "lignification." Many Opuntias get brown spots and eventually turn woody as they grow older, and this process is accelerated when a plant is grown from cuttings, as yours almost certainly is.

There isn't anything you can do to stop the process. Just enjoy its "gnarly" look :)

-R

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 21:46

We saw some huge old Opuntias when hiking on Catalina Island. The lower parts had turned into a woody/barky structure that looks more like a tree trunk than an Opuntia. Pretty amazing.

o

You can see some ancient ones like that in old westerns sometimes. They look like gnarled old trees with the pads for leaves. Incredible.

o

• Posted by old-n England (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 10:28

I have it on two cacti, but this one is only about three years old.

I don't know if it was from a cutting or not it came from a supermarket.

The other one did come from a cutting and is about four years old I enclose two photos one close and the other so you came see the whole plan.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have one a lot older, where this one was taken from and that as no brown marks.

o

Having been to jolly old England on several occasions in years past, I know it can be very damp and humid there. Are you sure some of the spots on your Opuntia are not from high humidity? Just a thought. As the plants are not that old, I don't think the spots are due to a natural process.

Christopher

o

Looks as if the skin has split vertically and then healed (scar tissue).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here