Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brown_panda

Who wants to help me ID my new babies?

brown_panda
9 years ago

So I got almost twenty new plants and i've identified a few of them (not to sound lazy hehe). I thought I'd ask for your help since my eyes are a bit tired already.

I brought home some furry ones! While i was uploading this I managed to identify a couple more.

1) Echeveria setosa
2) E. pulvinata
3) A mystery but I think this might be my new favorite plant because it's so odd with all those cottony leaves.
4) Sedum cuspidatum? Or its hybrid sedeveria letizia? This is already my second plant of its kind. I almost killed the first one so whatever tips you can throw my way about growing this, i'll appreciate it a lot.
5) A mesemb? It's blooming, as you can see. But that family makes me dizzy (re: ID)

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

bp,

1 and 2, I agree, 3 is a tradescantia (maybe navicularis - I don't grow it anymore ergo I don't remember rightly), 4 may very will be that and 5 is Aptenia cordifolia.

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, you just made my night.

3) From that clue, i got tradescantia sillamontana.
    4) --> er, which? Sedum or sedeveria?
    5) You saved me hours of research! I had absolutely no idea what 3 and 5 were.

Thank you so much for the quick response. Wait, i got more!

Iane

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Silly Montana - it gets me every time.

Yes, those are not uncommon succulent plants - watch out for that Aptenia - it's quite common to see it taking over an area if it gets warmth and good drainage. The Tradescantia was one of my first succulent plants (the first was Ruschia crassa).

I have to go beat the rugs and cats for a while, but I'll check in later looking for your Echinofossulocactus coptonogonus.

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1) Echeveria or graptoveria?
    2) Sedum rupestre? I got something like this already but it's greener (and now sparse).
    3) Some mesemb, again.
    4) A graptophytum? This is actually my second specimen but i treated the first one so poorly (and without identifying it) i thought i'd give another try at maintaining that purple plumpness.
    5) I have no idea at all. Looks like string beans to me.
    6) I thought this was a Crassula capitella but i have one and it has much smaller leaves.

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, don't beat your cats! ;D "Tradescantia sillamontana" -- cute, isn't it. Like a made-up name. I can't stop stroking it (I know, i know, i tell the neighborhood kids not to touch my plants because some are toxic and sometimes they break the leaves or, worse, spill the whole plant from the pot)...but it must be better than a cat because it's not going to sh*t in my garden.

I only do container gardening so... (to Aptenia) Bring it on!

Sansievieria bacularis. That's my first plant. Awfully common but we were at the mall and i was feeling low. I thought having plants in my room would cheer me up and it was one of the few plants sold there, so i grabbed one (pricey at that, who buys plants at malls??). As a testament to its hardiness, it is surprisingly still alive and defiantly perched on a shelf before me as i'm typing.

That was half a year ago. Now i can't stop O_O

Of course i had to google that mouthful> Echinofossulocactus coptonogonus. But, no. I'm staying away from cactus. The spiniest plant i have is a euphorbia pulvinata, but only because it was so leafy when i first got it. I take it from your user name that you're fond of cacti :)

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

#5 in second photo is peperomia ferreyrae I think.

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't have known, it looks so different from other peperomia. This is my first peperomia then! (Though P. pellucida grows like crazy in our yard. It's a medicinal herb we call "pansit-pansitan", supposedly good for arthritis.) Thanks Rina.

Iane

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Brown panda,
    those pictures are attractive.
    A couple of questions, as I am new to cacti, and soaking up any information I can get. :)

Do you ever plant more than one type in the same container?
    Do you keep them in the plastic pots?
    I moved mine into clay pots.

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you ellen. They only look attractive because they're newly purchased lol.

I don't have any cacti though, i wouldn't know the difference of caring for them and other succulents.

Yes, I tried to do arrangements but i haven't had much success in making all the individual components thrive. I think you have to choose the ones with the same water and sunlight requirements. I'm still figuring that out. For instance, in my limited experience, sedum rubrotinctum doesn't like playing with others. (Or maybe the species just outright hates me).

I keep the young offsets and propagating leaves in plastic containers and small pots because i heard they needed more moisture (please, anyone, correct me if i'm wrong). But the rest is in clay pots or ceramics with drainage holes.

Iane

(I'm still waiting for those IDs people before i pot them! :D)

This post was edited by brown_panda on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 15:44

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

Nice little succulents

• hookilau
    9 years ago

#4 in the first set...really pretty.

Could that be e.multicaulis?
    See link below.

I have a plant that looks very similar to yours, I'll have to dig up a pic to compare. The link below is just an example I dug up on Google, it's not mine.
    =)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:700322}}

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Why, it does look like that. Does yours turn that red? Please do post a pic of your plant. Now I have to diasbuse myself of the notion that it's an E. cuspidatum/ sedeveria letizia...

• totino
    9 years ago

N. 6 CRASSULA CAPITELLA CULTIVAR "CAMPFIRE"

• brown_panda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No.3 in the second set of pics died... i don't even know what it is. It just rotted in its new container.

I'm still interested to know what No. 1 in the second set is. The graptoveria. It has fat purplish bronze leaves.

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Hey BP =)

Yes, my e.multicaulins does turn red, it's got red margins on the leaves. I think it's referred to as 'cooper rose'. I'll post a pic tomorrow for comparison.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor