Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katzinfl

Outdoor Aloe Dying??

KatzInFL
9 years ago

They were doing fine until we had about a week of rain then started turning orange/red & leaf tips dying. They have been in the same spot for about two years now; mostly full sun. I live in Daytona Beach on the beach side. Tried searching Forum but couldn't find anything. Not even sure what kind of Aloe they are; I got them from a neighbor who was moving & didn't want them anymore.

Are they doomed or is there something I can do? Thank you in advance for any help!

Comments (13)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

They might be thirsty, I assume they are developing a wonderful tan....

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

I have a similar aloe outside in mostly full sun. I was a little surprised at the color changes this year. When we had the heavy summer rains, it actually turned more orange and red. My other aloes greened up.

As long as the leaves are firm and you have no signs of rot, I think it will be OK. I wonder if these particular plants react with color to abrupt changes in watering? I agree with Teen that they look like they are getting a tan.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

They color up in response to weather conditions. Many people consider this an attractive trait, as some Aloes can develop really intense color. As long as they are not rotting, they are fine. Likely A. maculata.

• KatzInFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! I love the color & was hoping it wasn't a death knell!

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

I am so glad you posted this! I have at least 40 big aloes and they all look like this. I was afraid they were a goner, I'm so relieved. Thanks!
    Rhonda

• rosemariero
    9 years ago

As long as no frost or freeze is involved, I'd also agree they are coloring up (getting a tan)). They look like Aloe grandidentata to me. Do you have any pix of them when they were flowering? Would help to ID it.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

There are some great pictures of this species in the link, including the flowers of one IN HABITAT AND AT 6000 FEET ASL!. That's just so fantastic it boggles my mind.

Here is a link that might be useful: High Spot

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Winter sun is the best at making the aloes change color. Something about the length of day and the cooler temperatures create the right kind of stress. Don't worry, they are fine. Different species turn different colors. I love them all. Some a brilliant . some are complex with multiple colors of violet , blue and rust. some are brown . Some go yellow.

I am a red head . I don't tan. I burn, but my plants can tan.
    {{gwi:700459}}

{{gwi:700461}}

{{gwi:700463}}

{{gwi:700465}}

{{gwi:700467}}

{{gwi:700470}}

{{gwi:700471}}

{{gwi:700473}}

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

You have some beauties, Mara!

I'm a month past rainy season and my aloes are coloring up nicely. My A. dorotheae have turned from bright green to a beautiful bronze - my first winter with them. Love it!

• KatzInFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Mara! Those are beautiful plants! This is my first adventure with succulents; can't wait to get more. The mama plant had a tumor the first year but did flower this past year but I can't find the pictures I took. Will have to wait for the next time. Thank you everyone for your help.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

how did you treat the aloe mite?

• KatzInFL
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wantonamara: Are you referring to the tumor? If so, all I did was cut it off & then it flowered normally a few months later. Was there something else I was supposed to do?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

Aloe mites are tough to get rid of. I am sweating out an appearance on mine. So far it has only made me throw away some babies and I bought a really nice aloe and when I got home , I saw the tell tale signs on the leaf edge and I tossed my $8 in the trash can. Two of my favorite babies have it and they are isolated and treated with Bayer 3 in one and Seven. I need to do some more cutting on them. More spots have appeared and very close to the growth point. I AM NOT HAPPY. The A. hereroensis is just now making into childhood and not babyhood and WAS looking GOOOD. I am so ticked about this. He is getting ugly and maybe I should throw him out or take the next step and buy some forbid or Avid. I hate spraying seven. I feel for the bees.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio