Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwie2011

more gritty mix issues

kwie2011
9 years ago

The newest issue I've discovered with gritty mix is rosette succulents climbing out of it. I have several Echeveria rosettes planted a month or so ago in grit. It's cloudy here, so they're in a southern window and tend to bend a bit toward the light. That makes the buried portion of the stem bend, and after a while the whole plant climbs right up and out of the mix. I just repplanted them for the 3rd time since I got them. I'm sure they'll stay put when eventually they've anchored themselves well enough, but short of putting chicken wire over them (which would damage leaves and look like ****), how do I keep them in their pot until then?

Comments (9)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Turn the pot every other week.

Josh

• hookilau
    9 years ago

Thanks for the chuckle 8)

The thought of them climbing out of their pots is entirely too hilarious to me.

I might use a well placed rock or 2 in addition to turning as Josh mentioned.

Er, on second thought, I'm not sure I quite believe you...maybe you should post a pic 0_o

(thinly veiled attempt at eliciting plant pics - haha!)

• deva33 Z8 Atlanta
    9 years ago

I would also consider getting a grow light so they dont bend towards the light (because they'll be getting enough of it).

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

A picture?

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but when I stick tip cuttings of stems that terminate in a rosette, I usually pluck the older leaves off the bottom of the rosette and bury a 2-3" stem stub so the remaining lowest leaves are almost contacting the soil. Never had to do that a second time for any cutting.

Al

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I turn the pot every day. I think it's the minute movements back and forth that cause them to work up to the top of the grit. Also, the lower leaves help lift them out of the medium as they open up to catch more light - like cartoon characters lifting themselves out of quicksand.

I just replanted them right before I posted, so you can't post a photo of their upward migration until they do it again. Meanwhile, here's what they look like after being stuck back in the grit.

{{!gwi}}

• breton2
    9 years ago

Put some flat stones in the pot to weigh down the root mass. I've had to do this with heavy cuttings like Crassula arborescens, but never Echeverias... Are they quite large? My small Echeverias, even those with too much stem, have never done this...

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    9 years ago

Or an extra thick layer of top dressing will provide you with the necessary stabilization, but what Breton suggests is better. A few appropriately-shaped-and-weighted rocks will do what you're looking to accomplish.

• kwie2011
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can you guys see the photo I uploaded? It doesn't show up on my phone.

These are established plants, not fresh cuttings. I can't really lay rocks on them without damaging them and blocking light, and there isn't enough room for top dressing unless I want a portion of the root ball above the medium. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad? Most of my Echeveria are fine, but the E. pulidonis have lots of thick, strong, narrow leaves compared to the others, and they're active little guys - the leaves move around like Aeonium leaves (they're very cool Echeveria). I'm thinking I'm going to have to cover the medium with screen or drywall tape or something.

• breton2
    9 years ago

I see the photo and I have to say I cannot picture a scenario in which those plants are managing to get themselves put of that pot, especially since they are nowhere near leaning over the edge. Weird! Are you sure you don't have a secret cat??haha

Are the root masses tiny on these plants? I have never noticed the leaves moving noticeably on my E. Pulidonis...

Happy growing
    Breton