Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noki_gw

Book...The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World

noki
12 years ago

Anybody have this new book...?

The Timber Press Guide to Succulent Plants of the World: A Comprehensive Reference to More than 2000 Species

http://www.amazon.com/Timber-Press-Guide-Succulent-Plants/dp/0881929956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320691042&sr=8-1

Here is a link that might be useful: Book at Amazon

Comments (8)

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    12 years ago

No, I don't, but the fact that its publisher is Timber Press is itself a recommendation.

12 years ago

You can meet the author and presumably buy the book, too, for signing.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Man Behind The Book

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

Well, Jeff, my copy of this book came in the mail and its description of Euphorbia sounds an awful lot like your plant...lobed peltate leaves,red...lacks photos of commonly grown plants, and all photos are of plants in habitat, but a couple of photos, look suspiciously related to your photo.

Penny

12 years ago

Penny,

I'm whiffing on your post like it's a Verlander fastball. What plant is it that you think I have that's Euphorbia-based? I don't have any TTBOMK, except for a perennial one that's now dormant and lying in wait for next spring, where we'll have some nice shrubberies again.

• pennyhal
    12 years ago

It was the Euphorbia trichaclenia. It was showing part of the root that it said was normally underground...which was kind of a big hunking ball. I couldn't see yours, but I don't think your pot was big enough to hold that kind of root.

There was an interesting photo of a Jatropha multifida, a relative of Euphorbia, that had that Japanese maple look that made me think of your plant more closely. But your plant had a label of Euphorbia so that's out.

Photos are like 95% of plants in habitate and I can't say that I recognized more than 5 of them! That's a newbie for you. Knowing the habitate helps me in knowing how to care for these things I seem to be killing off.

12 years ago

Penny,

Then that's the thing - I don't have that plant. I reckon you're confusing me with someone else. In fact, I've never had that plant in my collection..

• noki
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got this now... this book is very nice but it is obvious that it would have to be three times bigger to actually start be able to cover the diversity of species in nature.

12 years ago

noki,

Considering it was about $35 (IIRC) it seems worth it for beginners.