Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tired_of_digging

Succulents which can be sown in winter

tired_of_digging
9 years ago

I've purchased some Euphorbia seeds which I presumed are sown in spring. After holding them up to 2 months, I've read somewhere that they should be sown in the fall, around October. I planted them on the first week of November, hoping this would not make much difference. Out of the 84 seeds, 4 have sprouted. I have seen no bothrytis (the tell-tale sign of fungi feeding on a dead seed, sticking-out hair balls over their "meal") so I presume it is OK to wait, but so far nothing is happening. I also recall that Euphorbia seeds have a short lifespan, so did those 2 months make the difference? (BTW: The seed packet was sold as a species mix, no species have been tagged)

In general, fall-sowing seeds have been less successful than spring-sowing ones. I had a mediocre germination rate with species pelargoniums (Not hybrids). My climate is Mediterranean. Winter temperatures drop close to freezing (around 3c or 37.4F) and strong winds begin in November. Is that too hostile for my succulent seeds?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!