Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaslan

post pics of your winter blooms

yaslan
13 years ago

{{gwi:703005}}

My sister's orchid cactus blooms again! And despite how gangly and unsightly it appears (most of the season) this beautiful bloom does does make it worth growing!

Happy HOlidays!

Bo

Comments (91)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Mike!
    I sent ya some e-mail, Señor!

Josh

• tingtingeling
    13 years ago

Thanks for the id "crab claw", considering my other similar cacti I realize the significance of that. Just never noticed. Off to check...

Greenman, LoL @ bonsai. I like that! More like "sole survivor". I had her so long I can`t remember how I got her! It`s a miracle she`s still alive.

Yaslans sisters` orchid cactus in the first post; THAT is a beautiful colour in my book. Love it!

Once again thank you for the welcome, and sorry for hijacking the thread
    Inger-L

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Inger-L - No worries... We all (every now and then, though not intentionally) hijack others threads...lol

Also, your blooms looks even more beautiful next to the wooden bark.

Hi Mike & Josh

• TT, zone 5b MA
    13 years ago

This is a great thread, with many excellent winter blooms!...not sure if all of mine are truly considered 'winter' blooms, but here are a few in any case:

Othonna euphorbioides
    {{gwi:703034}}

{{gwi:703036}}

Euphorbia milii (not sure of the variety...smaller plant with smaller flowers)
    {{gwi:703038}}

E. milii (larger plant with larger flowers)
    {{gwi:703040}}

Euphorbia horrida
    {{gwi:703042}}

Tom

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Tom,
    That is a very nice collection and such pretty blooms! I love the sharp red coloring on your E. milii. Though, your Euphorbia horrida is very strange but unique and packs its own punch. Also, I've never seen or heard of your Othonna euphorbioides but it looks like it has a nice velvety feel and interesting flowers too. Thanks for sharing!

Keep them coming folks. ( :

Happy Growing Everyone!

-Bo

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

I have been watching this post since it started on Nov 26. I enjoy each and every one's beautiful blooms. It is too many to mention, but I love Laura Christmas castus so much. CC booms from Kenny and Xuan and so many other unusual plants that I haven't see.
    Thank you to each post to share the winter blooms. As for me, I don't have anything else but DR again. They are in my garage for the last 3 weeks. One white DR still have plenty of blooms, but leggy, because I don't prune them until April. This year my husband put the long light and so they are still looking healthy without dropping leaves.
    {{gwi:703044}}

This is from my baby seedling from this summer.
    {{gwi:703046}}

{{gwi:703048}}

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ltran54, wow, I sure do love your white DR! it looks very impressive massaged around the shiny green leaves!! And your garage is packed with plants.. I love that too! What are those trees behind your DR? Thanks for sharing your beautiful Desert Roses. ( :

Happy Growing,

-Bo

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Thank you Bo, those tall plants behind my DR are custard apple. My husband loved custard apple (tropical fruits). they also needed to be inside each winter. That is only one side of the garage the other side also looks just like it. Pack with every inches. Waiting for the winter to pass by before they can be outside again. Marie

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marie, I've never tasted a custard apple but I do love cherimoyas! Your trees still looks nice and healthy! I am sure they can't wait for summer to arrive, just like us!
    Have you tried a cherimoya before? I've heard it's similar to a custard (sugar) apple. How old are your custard apples? I'd love to see pics of your fruits.
    -Bo

13 years ago

The first of the Jade flowers opened today...!
    And a second flower is not far behind!

{{gwi:703050}}

Josh

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a nice flower Josh! How old is this particular jade? Though, I have to tell ya; I am envious of people who can get their jades to bloom. But whatever you did worked and I admire your jade growing abilities and green thumb!
    -Bo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread..Look at your plants Tom..Beautiful and cute!

Marie..You had to show that white DR didn't you? That is my favorite colored one and now the fever has come back..lol

Too many here to mention by name, but it makes me smile to see many here sharing what is special to them..

Bo..I am so happy you started it..I am so happy you are here now..;-)
    I wish Andrew would come back..Look at all these kind and friendly folks!

Thank you so much and I hope we keep thread going..It certainly brighten sup these short cloudy cold days..

Mike

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Wow, Josh, when jade blooms, that means luck is coming to your house.....Congrats.

Bo, I ate cherimoyas before, but custard apples are much better taste. Custard apples are more sweet and gentle looking fruits. Here are 2 pictures.

I took these in September but wrong date on the pictures,because my niece forgot to chance date when replace the battery. They not ready, not until October. Custard apple doesn't have fruits until it is 3 years old.

{{gwi:703052}}

{{gwi:703054}}

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Mike - yes, the folks here are very kind, warm and supportive! And you are right, it does bring a smile to see everyone sharing what is special and most dear to them.

You know, I got the idea for starting this thread from you? i love your threads, especially the 'show your jade pics' and 'show your citrus partying'. I think that's too funny but very enjoyable! You are one of the kindest and most helpful people on this forum. I've learned a great deal from you, Andrew, Pug and many more here on GW. And i am grateful and privileged to have met such kind spirited & generous folks! Thank you for your encouragement, support and allowing me to learn & grow.

Marie - Wow, those are some beautiful custard apples! Does your custard apple trees go dormant during the wintertime? Where did you get your trees? What state are you in? Now, I wanna grow custard apples too! Thanks for sharing your pics. They are indeed very inspiring...

Take care and happy growing Everyone!

-Bo

• wandering_willow
    13 years ago

Ooo I just love everyone's plants and flowers! What a beautiful treat as the weather gets cold and the skies get gray! I'm afraid I don't have anything as impressive to show, but here is my yellow Thanksgiving Cactus blooming last week, my red one is now as well, but my phone's camera seems to be on strike... Hopefully it will be working again soon!
    {{gwi:703055}}
    Next to her is my 'bonnie' spider plant, and a large Callisia Fragrans, affectionately known as Big Bertha - her longest "tentacles" reach the floor, haha.

Lovely growing everyone, a pleasure to see!

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Wandering Willow! I don't think I've seen a yellow Thanksgiving Cactus but yours is lovely! I also love your line "... a large Callisia Fragrans, affectionately known as Big Bertha". What a beautiful tribute and very endearing too! I hope your phone will not be on strike for long. We'd love to see pics of your red Thanksgiving Cactus. Thanks for sharing. ( :

Happy growing Everyone!

-Bo

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Wow...I go out of town for a couple of days and...speechless!!

I love everyones pictures...so many to name and the colors are so vibrant and the special little cuties are so precious...Itran...beautiful as always...Josh..thanks for teaching me the difference of "Nov" vs "Dec"...Xuan, love the color of yours too! So many people to mention...

Bo...thank you for this thread...you to are a very special and kind soul...everyone here is so kind...Thank you all for being a great group to know!!!

I remember that thread that mike starting about the citrus partying!!! LOL...I posted my Myer Lemon "sunning on my back deck...sitting by the pool enjoying a "cool"one LOL...

Take care everyone...I can't believe how large this thread has become in just days....Please keep posting pictures of your palnts...they are all beautiful!!!

Thanks for all the compliments on my "Tiger" pot...I have had this one for at least 20 years... I thought the "Nov" cactus looks like hair growing from this scary tiger!!!

Good Night all...

Laura in VB

• Marie Tran
    13 years ago

Bo, I am in Houston Texas. I am not so sure about going dormant, but Custard apples are tropical fruits and so they don't like the cold. We grow these from seeds. If you want to start I can send you some seeds. It take 3 years for it to have fruits. A tree like my, cost up to $300 each at a local nursery. Marie

13 years ago

Well, look what I had waiting for me this morning!

Bo, this was a cutting I received in March of this year, and it rooted over the Summer.
    It was taken from a mature plant that had bloomed last year, so that helps I think.

Marie, I hope it will bring luck to my house!

{{gwi:703057}}

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

{{gwi:703059}}
    not sure what the name of this tc is, but i saw one that looked like it named "Aspen" so im guessing that is what it is :)

13 years ago

That's pretty cool, Jonas!

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

thanks josh :), i thought so too which is why i bought it :D, unfortunately i think the one you see in the picture is gonna be last one to open, the other buds are already starting to fall off :/ but i guess thats what u get for 4$ :)

13 years ago

Not bad for a $4 bloom! ;)
    I think you made a wise purchase.
    How is the weather in Denmark these days?

Josh

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura - your words are kind, generous and encouraging. Thank you!

ltran54 - Wow, I can't believe you grew your custard apple trees from seeds! They are decidedly impressive!! How long do they stay in the garage and do you use any grow lights? when do you bring them back outside?

Josh - What beautiful blooms, especially on a jade that's so young! You do have the magic touch...

Jonas - That's a nice shot and very pretty bloom! Also, I agree not too bad for $4 bucks.

Happy growing everyone!

-Bo

• jonaskragebaer
    13 years ago

josh - well, you know what they say. a picture says more than a thousand words :) {{gwi:58371}}

well its the normal price for a tc that size here in denmark :), we produce alot of those here, i actually heard that we're gonna start exporting them to the u.s. :) so who knows you might end up with a danish tc one day :)

13 years ago

Ah, I'd love to take my snowshoes for a stroll out there...
    Thanks, Jonas!

Josh

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    all the pictures are great..
    I like the white tc, I have been looking for one of those
    I can't seem to find...Lowe's has gotten their christmas plants in and they have tc but no white ones and wal mart have gotten theirs in too, but no white..
    I am hoping that cub foods will have them...and I would like to get one of thoses purple tc too..
    a local dentist here I hear has a very unusual color tc, its a purple but its like dark purple(if I were to say vikings purple do you know what I mean)
    I asked his receptionist if I could get a cutting or two..
    thats a great picture from denmark, and yes it would be great to snow shoe there.....
    great pictures everyone......linda

• blueskies12
    13 years ago

Lovely photos everyone!!!! All that's blooming for me are my two Christmas cacti -- I really appreciate them this time of year. :):)

{{gwi:703061}}

{{gwi:703063}}

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Jonas - Thanks for posting the pic of your winter wonderland in Denmark! It looks very nice and calm in your area. I love the snow but we don't get much in my area.

Hi Linda - Did you get the cutting from your dentist office? You know that's a great idea! Next time, I see a nice CC or TC I too will ask if they can share a cutting.

Hi blueskies12 - When the weather is dark and cloudy and there's not much color outside, I too appreciate the blooms on my CC this time of the year.

I love seeing how beautiful and colorful all the blooms are! Thanks everyone for posting pics of your lovely flowers.

Take care and happy growing!

-Bo

13 years ago

Hey, Blueskies!
    Those blooms are a little early for Christmas... ;)
    The plants shown are actually Thanksgiving cacti, and they're very lovely!
    The white bloom with subtle hints of pink-purple is great.

Josh

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Great photos everyone! I'm really enjoying this thread. Awesome pictures!

Cute little blooms on your Jade Josh...what I would give to see that on just one of my Jades **sigh**

Jonas, what a contrast from our weather...yesterday was 86ð here...although we have a strong cold front coming our way as I type. Lows in the mid 30's for a couple of nights...believe me when I say that is COLD for us in FL...but NO snow thank goodness,lol...GREAT picture!

My TC's are just budding up...so it looks like I'm going to have blooms on my TC's closer to Christmas...will post pics when they open.

Keep the pictures coming...

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

Hi im new here Here are my bloom pics even though its coming into summer over here

No 1 is growing like crazy and flowering too.
    {{gwi:703066}}

No 2

{{gwi:703069}}

{{gwi:703071}}

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Cyclonenat - Welcome! Wow, that is an admittedly sharp red and very pretty too. I have to say I don't think I've ever seen this orchid cactus (?) before. It's very unique and has nice coloring. And how lucky for you that summer is just around the corner!

Happy Growing,

-Bo

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

the pink one has so much new growth its not funny. How long do you think the red one will take to open?

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Pug! I do envy your nice Florida weather and can't wait to see pics of your TC. ( :

Cyclonehat - I have no idea when they'll bloom but I am thinking soon. How long have you had this orchid cactus? The buds reminds me of my sister's orchid cactus so I believe you're blooms are going to be decidedly gorgeous!

-Bo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

My God..Too many names too mention and yet I must say to all you of FANTASTIC pictures!

Jonas..I too love the white! Not the snow though..Yikes.

Josh: I wish I could see your latest picture here at work..:-( I am sure it's a beauty!

Bo...What a great idea to start this thread..They keep on coming as you asked..Also, your comments are always so kind. Thank you..Happy growing to you too! I knew you would love it here...:-)

Cycloenat..You deserve an honrable mention! It is always great to hear and see new people and their beautful pics.

Pug..I think your TC thinks it's a CC..lol..Some of mines do too! I can wait to see the flowers on yours..Look at you grow these things in Florida! Wouldn't it be nice if flowering Jades were that easy?..:-)

Linda: You can't find a white one? let me make a call tomorrow...I will get back to you in private..:-)

Blueskies..Gorgeous! Not just your screenname, but your flowers..Wow..

Itran..Thank you for your pictures and all your side help off the forums!

Wanderingwillow..Amazing too..Love them all..

Laura: look what's happened since the last time you post thanks to Bo..lol..I knew you would love it here too..I am glad you manage to spend time here other than the plumeria forums where I first met you:-)))

Happy growing everyone!

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

Is it normal to have 4 flowers on one leaf

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike - Good to see you here! I too love this thread. I think it's very exciting to see what's blooming in other peoples homes. Thank you for inspiring me! ( :

Cyclonenet - I have never seen 4 buds on one leaf. I think that's very unique and quite beautiful! Thanks for sharing your beautiful orchid cactus.

Happy growing Everyone!

-Bo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Hi Bo!You are so welcome and It is wonderful to see everyones plants! Now to ask each one ..How they they do it? Oh boy..:-)

For instance..

Cyclonenets plants seem VERY happy in her care..Many of us try hard to get more than a couple of buds on one leaf..The only time I have ever seen that many on one leaf is when bought or in nuseries!

Do you do anything special to encourage blooms?
    How did you care for yours Cyclonenets?
    Did you expose it to cold temp or dark hours?
    Did you just leave it in the same spot or put it into a dark area to start?
    What window if a window did you grow it in?
    What direction does that window face?
    Do you feed yours?
    I ask because it is great to see one with that many blooms on one leaf, something rare for me..

Mike:-)

• kaktuskris
    13 years ago

I am feeling totally left out, as I have no winter blooms to share. Yet my Euphorbia milii gives me hope for the future, with bud growing slowly but surely...And my Pedilanthus is giving some pink colouration, if only in leaf.

Beautiful photos everyone!

Christopher

{{gwi:703074}} {{gwi:703077}}From My Pictures

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Christopher - "gives me hope for the future" I like this line very much. Please do pose pics when your Euphorbia milii blooms. Also, the pink coloration on your Pedilanthus is very nice, especially when it's dark and cloudy outside!

Happy growing,

-Bo

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

Hi i recently repotted it (before buds) and mixed coffee grounds into the mix.
    For winter it was on the window sill so had very cold temperatures!!!
    In spring i put it under a tree so it got about 5 hours morning sun then mottled sun for the rest of the day. Just left it outside when it rained etc the temps outside was about 17 celcius during day and probably 10 at night.
    Hope this helps

• cyclonenat
    13 years ago

Does anyone know the type of the plant of mine with pink flowers is?

13 years ago

Easter Cactus, maybe? Or something like that?

Mike, I hope you're able to see the pic I posted soon! ;)

Christopher, keep the faith, brother!

Josh

• Patty zone 5
    13 years ago

cyclonenat - looks like Hatiora Rosea

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone!!!

Love all of the pictures, even ones without blooms!! : )

Any pic of a beautiful plant is nice to see this time of the year!!!

Thanks Mike...

Laura in VB

• emerald1951
    13 years ago

Hi cyclonenat, welcome to GW.....
    I believe your plants are both easter cactus 'rhipsalidopsis gaetnen'
    and I hope this works here is a link,

http://cactus.biology.dal.ca/paulS/christmas/christmas.html

if this doesn't work I am sure someone here will do it right...
    I have a red one and the flowers are really nice looking,
    I really like the color of yours...
    thanks for posting.....linda

• zachman
    13 years ago

here are some of mine that bloomed recently. great thread!

lithops
    {{gwi:703079}}

{{gwi:703081}}

Mammillaria gracilis "thimble cactus
    {{gwi:703083}}

• yaslan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zachman - Great to see real flowers on your cactus (instead of the ones glued on at the store). I've always found the lithops to be quite unusual but interesting & unique, nonetheless, and pretty flowers too. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Happy growing Everyone!

-Bo

• tjicken
    13 years ago

cyclonenat:

The first plant is Hatiora rosea and the second is Hatiora gaertneri. (Or hybrids of course, but they look relatively pure as far as I can tell from the pictures).

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths