Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Collapsing cactus.

Posted by emilia415 Michigan (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 12 at 13:54

A few months ago I bought a little cactus and a jade plant at for my dorm room. I've been keeping them on an east-facing windowsill where they receive plenty of light, and I rarely water either for fear of root rot. A week or two ago my jade plant became rather limp and "floppy", so I watered both plants before leaving for Thanksgiving.

When I returned to my room at the end of the weekend, I was thrilled to discover not only that the jade plant had perked up but that a bud on the cactus had begun to open into a little yellow flower. Now, only two days later, the cactus has suddenly begun to collapse. Half the plant has "wrinkled" up and the whole plant has become floppy and unstable. Is there any way to salvage this plant, or did I somehow manage to kill it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Collapsing cactus.

It is not a cactus, but a succulent, namely a Faucaria, Most likely tigrina.

The reason it is "floppy" is because it dosnt get enough water. This is a mesemb native to south africa. Although it doesnt get much rain, but get large mists that water it enough. Maybe you could give your a good misting every other day or so.

If you want to do more reading on this plant, click the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cactus art biz: Faucaria tigrina

o
RE: Collapsing cactus.

I just found one of these over the weekend and repotted it in the gritty mix. Thanks for the link on the care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here