Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bikerdoc5968

Kalanchoe luciae

I know some call this K. luciae 'Fantastic', while others say it is K. thyrsiflora. Whatever you want to call it, it's fine by me. I want to know: Is this a winter grower and I should be watering it or what? These are all cutting from the plant in the background which has two more growing up from the base.

Comments (15)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Beautiful plants, Howard! They send up their inflorescence & bloom in late winter to early spring, so I suppose I'd call them winter growers. A little water wouldn't hurt. My neighbor has an inflor growing up now.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rosemarie. I hope mine don't flower too soon. I don't want them to die just yet! I know they will produce more plants when they flower but I can't handle them now.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

Gorgeous-must be getting adequate light to produce that vibrant red!

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Oh, so these die after flowering? I rooted mine in September and it's in the process of setting buds.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

Yes, but they produce babies near the stem which can be repotted. Does yours have babies Camellia?

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

No, I saved it from my nephew's wedding. It was part of a floral arrangement. I took the cutting and rooted it. The wedding was mid/late Sept. Now the cutting that has rooted is forming flower buds.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Can a new plant be started from a single leaf like other Kals?

Biker, those are some of the prettiest plants I've ever seen, of any genus!!!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. They are colorful and easy to grow. Don't know about leaf divisions as I've never do it with these.

• sowngrow (8a)
    10 years ago

I think they can be propagated from leaf cuttings as I'm having success propagating K. thyrisflora. I had lopped off a couple lower leaves from my main plant and laid them down on soil with small terra cotta pots on top to hold the curved leaves in place. So far, one has roots shooting out from a break in the leaf, not from the end I removed from the main plant, but further up the leaf where the leaf had broken slightly.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

When the flower is spent , one chops back the plant and the base will push out a whole heard of babies.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

The stem will also produce babies after blooming that can be removed and rooted. I just love this plant. It really livens up my rock garden.

• intelinside1
    10 years ago

Stunning colors! Wow I hope mine look like that some day but I just started mine from cuttings. I only let water get on them once every 2 weeks to a month if it rains.

• Sharon_in_Houston
    9 years ago

I have a problem. Just found a snail on my ÃÂ Kalanchoe luciae. I knocked it out of the pot, doused the snail with salt water and sprayed the plant with a 50/50 vinegar-water solution. This was one snail, but is it a harbinger of more to come?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Vinegar is often touted as a 'home remedy' for killing unwanted plants. I wouldn't put it on any plant I wasn't trying to kill. How is your plant doing after that experience?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Wow - I just uprooted one of my K. luciae that had bloomed and the inflorescence was spent/lopped off about 6 weeks ago. The babies were crammed around the inflorescence stem and it was time to separate them.

I got 3 big babies off of the stem. They are rooting in small pots. I planted 6 big pups with great root systems in the ground on my island. I have 10 small pups with roots in pots to grow a little bigger.

That's a lot more pups than I expected to get from one plant! And I have 2 more to separate! Ooh - now I have a new idea for my back garden area!