Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's see if anyone here can guess what plant this is? Pic

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 14:14

There is something I think special about this plant. I see great potential and maybe a Bonsai specimen?

It was funny. Today I decided to take a ride to the nursery to see if they had any perennial sales and of all the hundreds of plants they had, this one caught my eye from hundreds of feet across the area.

It was the only one there and one worker there told me if they had seen it, they would of kept it. Ok, so it must have something to offer most their other plants do not.

See if you can guess the name of this one. It is in the Euphorbia Family:-)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mike:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's see if anyone here can guess what plant this is? Pic

I have NO idea Mike..but I love the color of the leaves, very pretty! Cool plant!

Will wait and see what the answer is...

o

Havn't a clue,but i like it and the coloring on it.Some sort of crassula maybe???
Kathi

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 17:39

Poinsettia would be my guess.

o

Hey Mike...
very interesting.....but haven't a cue....
it is a pretty plant, adds a lot of color to your
green house.....
can I ask...some time take a few steps back and take a picture of your whole green house I would like to see it...and do you keep your plants in there all winter???
thanks for posting.....linda

o

Ok, my SWAG would be a Japanese Maple graced by some moss masquerading as a succulent in your garden.

o

That is the same leaf as an ornamental Japanese maple--yet the plant itself is different from what we have around here
Mari

o

Euphorbia family? Cold hardy or not?

No idea, really...

Christopher

o

Maybe an Euphorbia dendroides?

Julia

o

Still, no one knows?

The label says it is a Euphorbia but I am thinking it is mislabeled since I can't even Google this one. I hope it is a true perennial and does ok with being left outside all winter.

Thank you for trying though. I will post a pic of the label that was on it since no one seems to know and just maybe you can see if the label is accurate.

Mike

o

Hi Mike,

Are you aware of the "Name this Plant" forum? You might try posting it there if it goes answered here after a couple of days.

o

Reminds me of a Euphorbia characias subsp. wulfenii cultivar or E. martinii cultivar.

o

I think it's a hardy Euphorbia. Don't know which species. Toni

o

I, too, would guess it to be a Euphorbia, but I couldn't guess at a variety name.

I'm wondering how hardy it might truly be... have you wintered it over outdoors in past years, Mike? Or is this a new acquisition?

It's a very interesting specimen... that's for certain! :-)

o

I know this is late but I just came across this and wanted to throw in a guess if you haven't already gotten an answer.

Either E. palustris or E. villosa

http://www.specialperennials.com/Other_Perennials/Plant_List_Euphorbia.htm

http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetails.asp?imageno=28988
http://www.barnsdalegardens.co.uk/acatalog/Euphorbia.html

o

Wowa! Did I forget this thread.

I am actually going to store it in my shed where there is no heat and minimal light. That is where all my figs, pines, and maple trees go for sleep without fear of frozen pots.

I can actually tell you the exact name now that no one has guessed but it looks nothing like what I saw when I googled it for sure. Thanks everyone anyway and Ahel for the links!

Here is another view and the name I found on the pot.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mike:-)

o

Mike, you might not want to expose it to extreme cold until you know exactly what it is.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here