Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seamommy

Mature Jade Tree

seamommy
14 years ago

I got a good deal on this tree still in it's nursery pot. It is fairly large and pot bound and I'm trying to decide if I should repot it. I've never had a jade tree before and not familiar with them. Do they like to be root bound? Or do they prefer to have more leg room? Cheryl

Comments (46)

• User
    14 years ago

Since you just bought it, perhaps give it a month or two to settle in before you do anything. Is there some hurry? Maybe you could use the time to read up on them in the meantime & see what they need?

• johnh_or
    14 years ago

How about a pic?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

If the Jade is in bad soil (peaty, soggy), then a re-potting could be the very best thing for it. But, if the mix is gritty and free-draining, then I'd follow Karen's advice and simply observe the plant as it settles in. If it's a big, healthy plant, I would assume that the soil isn't too terrible.

And let me second John's request! How 'bout a pic?

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Karen great response. Norma

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, no hurry, just wondering if anyone knew much about them. I didn't find much in the FAQ's except watering, growth and blooming cycles. It is in a well drained soil mix now, about the same as my other succulents. I just never had a jade tree before. I say it's mature because of the size of the lower stems, but for that matter, I don't really know for sure either. It's very full and heavy for it's size. Right now it's about 20" tall and round. I have only ever seen one that was larger than this one. I'm certain that it came from a greenhouse somewhere and it's in my greenhouse now, so I doubt it has very much 'settling in' that it will have to do. Since jades typically have their growth spurts in the cooler months it just seemed that it might be good to get it into something larger now before that cycle commences. Since no one here really seems sure about whether I should repot, I thank you all for your inputs. Cheryl

• User
    14 years ago

Norma,

Perhaps you could address these issues pls. Knowing the poster has a greenhouse changes things & the size of the plant too, make it such that fewer people have similar experience to share. I know you to be one & several of the fellows as well. Perhaps they'll see this in the next several days & share some suggestions.

If it were mine, if there are no roots coming out the bottom, I'd leave it be 'til next year. Sorry, I'm out of my depth.

14 years ago

Twenty inches?! So it's still a baby... ;)
    Look at this bugger - Jade 'Gollum' - in a half wine-barrel! I hope you don't mind me re-posting the image here:
    {{gwi:7085}}

Seamommy, I gave you a sure answer :-)
    If the soil is bad, re-pot. If the soil is good, don't re-pot. The plant will be growing more vigorously during the cool Spring months (as opposed to the cool Autumn month, but I've re-potted Jades throughout the year. With a fast-draining potting mix, you have nothing to fear.

Pics please!

Josh

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    14 years ago

Cheryl,

These wise folk have given you great advice, and I don't wish to burst your bubble over your Crassula ovata, but as Josh points out, your plant is nowhere near mature. One sign of maturity is size, yes, but your plant is still a young 'un.

I would leave it alone, if it's showing signs of growth, until at least next year. Feed and water it, give it as much sun as you can, and otherwise ignore it.

The link is to a site with different pics of C. ovata - your plant may very well look like them in 10 years or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: C. ovata all over

14 years ago

I like that link, Jeff!
    Thanks for posting it.

Josh

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, thank you for that great information. And I did mention in my first post that I wasn't sure about maturity. Knowing I have a 'baby' plant is good (no bubble bursting here) and the other info gives me a little better idea of how to care for it. I read some of the other posts here in the succulents forum and was interested in the one on pruning (mutilating) a jade plant. Such a severe trimming would scare me, but why would you do that? What purpose does it serve?

Like I said I have it in the greenhouse, but I didn't put it in the sunniest spot (SW corner) quite yet. I use a 40% shade cloth year round since we are in central Texas. While the plant could withstand the full sun outdoors most of the year, inside the greenhouse it can really heat up that spot. I have a palm tree and bay tree in that hot zone right now. Most of the rest of the greenhouse is about the same as to light and temps.

I was really interested in the section on propagating with leaves and cuttings. Can you tell me, when I take a cutting, say 4" long, and assuming the growing conditions are ideal, how much growth should I normally expect in a year's time? The reason I ask is because if I wanted to make new baby plants to give as gifts or to swap with gardening buddies, how long should I let them grow before I had a decent sized plant with maybe a few branches?

One other question about this plant, the information that came with it indicates that it has pink blooms (I confess that's one of the reasons I bought it) but not much other helpful data about the plant in general. Are there other colors besides pink and white?

I really appreciate all of the helpful info you have provided. I know I could do the research as pirate girl suggested, but hey, it's lot more fun to get it from fellow gardeners here. That's why we log on to GW in the first place, isn't it? :o Cheryl

14 years ago

Cheryl,

Re your last sentence - in a word, no, not for me. Since these questions you've asked have mostly been answered over and over, time and again, and as many here have written much of the same information over and over, I don't think it's too much to ask you to do some searching and reading. You know, we like to help folk who help themselves. Why should the same thing be repeated when it's already been written about lavishly and can be found with a little research?

Why would you severely trim a plant? Many reasons, but one would be to get a lot of cuttings. Another would be the sheer joy of seeing little leaves pop out of leafless stems. Another would be for starting a bonsai'd Crassula.

C. ovata has white blossoms - there might be a cultivar with pink blossoms, but maybe it's also a different species.

4" cutting growth in a year - I'd guess it would at least be half again as large, all things being ideal.

If you want to get a trading base of Crassula ovata together, I would follow Brad's mutilation advice - it's the right time, as long as you can provide heat, to root up a bunch of cuttings/leaves.

• seamommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK cactusmcharris, no more questions, just in case they might have been answered somewhere, sometime in a book, magazine, leaflet, radio talk show, article, flier, newspaper, or casual conversation over a fencepost. Any attempt at friendliness is wasted on one as seriously knowledgeable as you. Pirate girl told me to go elsewhere for information and Norma cheered her on, great double-teaming girls. The initial question was about whether they like to be pot bound and that still hasn't been answered, but no further information is requested from any of you. I read all the other posts in this forum and you all were very forthcoming with links and articles to other posters so I'm confused about what I wrote that has caused so much hostility and such hateful responses. Maybe it was just using the word mature, obviously a poor choice of word to use with a bunch of 'real experts' like yourselves. I've been gardening for over 50 years and have always tried to help other gardeners even when their questions were basic ones. GW was designed to be a place where folks could go for information from other gardeners, if cactusmcharris doesn't come here for that purpose, I wonder he bothers to write anything here at all, oh except to make someone else feel stupid. Have a nice life, don't e-mail me. I won't use this forum in the future and don't wish to communicate with any of you.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Cheryl....

"all were very forthcoming","much hostility and such hateful responses"," a bunch of 'real experts' like yourselves"...

I take this personally, because you are attacking me and some of my friends..This is not a mis-interpetation..

In defense for myself and others:

What you are saying in fact is not accurate. In fact "hostile"... Most here if not all have been a group of the best people you can find on any forum...

May I just give you a helpful suggestion? :-)...
    If you don't learn to clothe yourself with thick skin, You will keep searching for a forum that you would like, that just does not exsist..Sorry..:-(

Misinterpeting things on these forums is rampart!
    In fact I can misinterpet some of my closest friends e-mails just as you have..You know, it is the not speaking one on one thing..
    Once you understand this, you'll be back....:-)

Maybe you have had a bad day, not feeling well, if so it happens.. Hopefully you are ok.
    I myself have found everyone here a delight to meet and very helpful..In fact very willing to share!

Also, to me, someone complimenting another is not piggy backing, it is just a pat off the back, to someone not giving you bad info while in the learning proccess as you are also... I would appreciate one too if givin a reason...We all do, right?

Sorry you feel so bitter, but I myself found no one here hostile, especially "cactusmcharris", in fact extremely helpfull!!
    I guess it is all how you choose to interpet things.. I may do as you have done on any givin bad day. But I wouldn't find it worth leaving here..It would be a loss to the one offended...
    You would feel alot happier and have a great time here, if you saw the good and looked past the imperfection of others..

Be greatful we are alive another day to enjoy our jades:-)

Oh ya. "NO" plant LIKES to be "pot bound". It only benefits our own needs......Givin the other advice here, your plant will do just fine..

We know you are reading this, because curiosity kills us all.. NO hard feelings!

Goodluck

Mike

14 years ago

Mike,
    that was very diplomatic.
    You are a gentleman.

Josh

14 years ago

Cheryl,

Your effusive thanks are just too much! It's too bad that all this unpleasantness wasn't avoided by someone giving you the answers that you're looking for in the manner that you were looking for them, but please don't try to transfer the source of your unhappiness to me - that dog don't hunt.

• rjj1
    14 years ago

For a lot of us GW oldtimers there is a common post that reoccurs over and over. Someone new wants to post. That is a good thing. Please post, say hi, where you are from, what you like to grow, especially if you like adeniums. :-)

But many of those posts then ask questions that have been answered many times over and over. Sometimes there is 2 or more posts still on page one that deals with that very subject. I've even seen them right below the new message.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions. But at least look on the page and see if that has been dealt with an hour beforehand. If not on page one, do a word search and see what turns up.

I readily admit I'm not a people person. I'm not in tune with chatting for the sake of chatting. If I want information, I look for it first. If I can't find it, then I ask someone I think knows the answer.

I'm not impressed with people that get their knickers in a twist because they didn't get spoon fed the exact answer they wanted and then lash out after people did take the time to offer advice on how to find the answer. This is a fundamental building block of the term learning. It happened to me in school. It still happens to me now.

randy

• blutarski
    14 years ago

the internet: SERIOUS BUSINESS!

seriously, if you don't want to answer the same question over and over, no one's stopping you from NOT responding. No need to chastise newcomers, it's unproductive.

Kindness- it don't cost nothin'!

14 years ago

Blutarski,

You might be falling into the same misimpression my new best friend Cheryl did. There's absolutely no chastisement in what I've written - none.

Reading comprehension - it ain't for everyone.

• blutarski
    14 years ago

cactus. You're assuming I'm talking about you specifically? you know what happens when we assume!

14 years ago

Yes, I did, and yes, I do - proudly proving it (almost) daily since 1960.

But you're right to point it out to me - it could be, in some quarters (maybe even the Latin Quarter of Montreal) be taken for constructive criticism bordering on the fringiest tinge of chastisement, and we wouldn't want that.

I shouldn't want to act as ungraciously as our most recent friend has, and I thank you for the reminder.

• User
    14 years ago

Yikes folks, much ado about nothing.

OK, Cheryl here you go. Does it help if I add that the short answer is Yes, they do?

Norma, I WAS well intended -- see, it doesn't happen just to you. Can't make all the folks happy all the time. Oh, well ....... (Thank you for your lovely comments elsewhere lately too.)

(PG) Karen

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Pg...It is so nice to see that you appreciate at least "someone" for making lovely comments about you...

This is not much "ado about nothing"...As in the past, when you were atacked, you came to your own defense too..In fact you were, here on this thread, and someone cared enough to set things straight with you and Norma,in fact a few times prior...Not just making lovely comments..

These threads are suppose to be about growing plants, and when someone twists it to something than other, especially when isulting someones caring advice, many have a right to set that straight, as you have in the past..Right?,especially if directed at someone we like in public view..

If poeple don't want threads like this, then they need to stop with the attacks when they misinterpet things..Everyone has a part of threads,, including us.

I could easily interpet that the only lovely comments made about you that mattered here, and in past threads, were Normas, and none of mine.. But I won't. I choose to believe that you do appreciate people who try to be good to you. It is what motivates me to come to your defense...:-)

You may not like me for saying this, you may misinterpet my point, but do I care? Yes and NO.

Stay happy!

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Now back to the posters question..

Here's a link thta might be helpful...

Here is a link that might be useful: potbound

• User
    14 years ago

Mike,

Thank you, but I neither want nor need your defense(s). I am not in need of rescue. I'm also not interested in all the personal commentary you choose to make; I am here for the plants. It happens I know Norma personally as in have broken bread w/ her & visted her home.

While I have never said anything further to you about it, you know why I won't communicate with you privately, & that's not likely to change. I'd very much appreciate it if you would leave me out of your commentary. I'm not here for therapy, group hand holding or anything like that. Folks I take a personal tone w/ like Norma is because I know them personally &/or have long-established online relationships w/ them (like for 4 yrs.+)

I'd appreciate it if you would please stop helping me.

For those who think this is harsh, there's history to it.

• User
    14 years ago

PS: w/ her DECADES of growing experience, work at the Huntington Gardens, etc., a compliment from Norma feels particularly good!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

I have to thank you. Because of you I have been forced to deal with a person who insinuates that I have behaved in an inappropriate manner and therefore deserve the unkind treatment that I have received from you. Tolerance is a virtue that I hope I have learned because of you.

• User
    14 years ago

Either say what you're talking about, or don't; talking AROUND it accomplishes nothing - you already know what you're talking about.

I'll make you a deal: if you would just leave me out of your conversations, I'll try hard not to answer your posts.

Because of me NONSENSE, we're all adults here -- responsible for our own behavior -- geez, get a clue already!!!!!!!! Whatever is being dealt in your direction by others is your doing & has NOTHING to do with me!

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

It is very sad what has happened in this thread. One new member has left us, mad and indignant, and others normally amiable and generous are yelling at each other.

Can we stop bickering now, please?

Brad

• User
    14 years ago

Well it's good to know that this type of nonsense doesn't only occur on the forums where I usually hang out. What a load off my mind! Here I was thinking that us garden junkers and hypertufa folks were oversensitive, it's good to find out that we are only human after all!
    Re: asking questions that have already been addressed if not answered
    It's always a surprise to me how many people don't realize there's a great forum search engine on the main pages. I guess we all need to remember to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a web page.....kind of like reading the fine print at the bottom of a contract.
    I'm new to this forum but am thoroughly enjoying wandering around and am also looking forward to visiting more often.
    Have a great day all!

14 years ago

Brad,

Let me ask you a question, the answer to which I don't know yet.

For the C&S Forum, or really for any Forum, do we, the regular contributors here, wish and value quantity of members over quality of response/contributor (IMO, I think that that's what a tangent to which I can condense this crassulaic imbroglio)?

I could go on and on for my justification for such, but I don't wish to bore you to tears. However, I can, if you wish.

As the one who was savaged, I think unfairly this time, in this thread, I think I should ask this question and for yours and others' thoughts.

And you're right - no bickering from me for....all day, at least.

NM Girl,

It happens from time to time and infrequently - usually (but not always, as you can see) from a misread of what one has written. Anyway, most of the time we kiss and make up, but I don't know if I'll have that possibility with Ms. Cheryl.

We're really glad you're here.

14 years ago

You know what they say...
    If you lend someone $20, and you never see them again....
    It was money well spent!

Josh

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

Jeffrey, I value quality more than quantity for just about everything. However, I don't see what happened in this thread as a quality vs. quantity issue. It's more a matter of emotional restraint.

It started with folks not reading carefully enough, not thinking long enough about their responses, and reacting to others based on past bad experiences, feelings, and misapprehensions, not what was actually written. I don't see that you did anything wrong, but your delicious and idiosyncratic use of language causes trouble sometimes, not because of anything you say, but what others think you said. But you already know that. ;)

I have learned the hard way that defending ones honor on a forum like this is always a losing battle. No response is the best response. Righteous indignation is never a good thing. If you are pissed off, go ahead and write a vitriolic response if it will make you feel better, but don't post it.

I don't want to claim that I always follow my own advice. I'm not perfect, and have some hot button topics. And like you, I use language in ways that not everyone appreciates. Couple that with an irascible temperament (which you do not seem to posses), and I have been in more than my fair share of emotionally draining Internet battles.

I have an enemy who has declared his right to kill me because he felt that my chastisement of his behavior when I was the moderator of a forum with over a hundred thousand members constituted an attack no different than a physical assault, giving him the moral right to 'defend himself' by killing me. He even chased me onto other forums that he only cared about because I posted there. Suddenly, out of nowhere, here he comes to parse my words and quote me out of context in a vain attempt to make me look foolish in front of folks I respect. Unfortunately, he sometimes succeeded.

We got into arguments so absurd, so ridiculous, and so draining, that I quit moderating that huge forum, and he disappeared for a couple of years. Others tell me that he had a 'nervous breakdown', at least in part caused by his inability to achieve victory, or to silence me. This highly intelligent idiot still has several 'philosophical' articles dedicated to me on his personal web site, this a decade after our conflagration(s).

We can all get sucked into these stupid battles, but being an Internet warrior is only going to make you crazy, emotionally damage you, or get you killed, metaphorically, or maybe even physically. Any 'victory' will be phyrrhic, costly and draining. King Phyrrus, after his victory over the Roman armies in 280 BC, said: "one more such victory and we are lost."

It is so easy to write things to others that we would never, ever say if that person was standing right in front of us. No response is often the best response. Now, I have rambled on long enough that the quantity of my words has devalued the quality, so I'm done.

Brad

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Okay kids, lets get down to plants again, I am surprised and sorry that this happened here of all places. I felt I was insuled on another forum, so I just left. This forum is kinder and more knowledgable. Jades mature when they fill a pot, they often flower at that time. I have never measuered or recored when that happens because, it doesn't matter. I have 24 different varies of Crassua ovata, "Jade" I do share. All of my plants are at least 20 year old and some has never flowred and one which I call old 'Faithful' does every year at this time. She has light pink flowers. There are other that has darker pink, and then I have one that has blue glaucus leaves, that I wish would, called "Breaker Dancer" it was named after his son. I take my hobby seriously, I study each night, I look every think up in my small home library. Cutting them back on top keeps them from falling over, (Pinching out) just like you would any other plant if you want flowers, they will only flower on new tip growth, I start to fertilize in Sept so I can get Chistmas flowers. They come from rocky hillsides with no rain for 5-6 months depending on that years rainfall. They come up in cracks, not planted by man, but by nature. The goats and sheep, rabbits, tortoise eat the top off. Leaves drop down, and root with out with out soil, some may not live. The absorb water through their stomatas. Or what fog condenses and collected in the crevices of the rocks, they get food from the falling leaves and decay of them from thier own bodies. They live on rocky hill sides, so have very fast drainage naturally, they don't like wet feet, (they don't want to drown, neither do I) The like full sun, and do not do well in a house. They do not so well in the Eastern sates or Soughern state. I did a survey on this, even advance grower, 'Master Gardners' call me up and ask me what to do. I will be glad to respond to any question regarding this species, if you are willing to do some home work as well, it's a two way street. The Master Gardner's on this forum may be able to fill in what I left out, this I would welcome. Norma

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

Josh, thanks. I needed a laugh after getting altogether too serious for a bit. Now, who wants $20?

14 years ago

You're welcome, Brad!
    And, for the record, I really enjoyed your post.
    I appreciate these lingustic indulgences...and the time you took to craft your reply. It's well-composed, smooth, informative, and easy to read.

Norma,
    thank you for re-posting that tidy summation of habitat information on Crassula ovata. I will copy it for my use, and I will give you credit. However, I will impose some paragraph breaks, if you don't mind! ;)

Josh

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

Josh you don't need to mention my name use and quote me, no credits needed. I seldman get a thank you what I do post. If Jeff doesn't feel like helping on C. ovata, I will. I will never turn down a person who is not familiar to the species. They are trimed to they won't topple over, forse flowering, keep or shape them, ticken their trunks, or bonsai them. They do not like large pots until they grow into them, they like to be crowded in order to flower. They grow in cracks of the rocks which they are found on Africa hill sides. They are grazed upon by tortoise, sheep, goats, and any other animal that is in of water. They really don't need fertilizer but a 0-10-5 somethning like that, which I just made up, is really not needed but the middle number may cause them to flower.
    I complimented Karen because I know her, and she has worked hard to be of help and getting better all the time.
    I correct her so she will learn even more. She knows exactly what I mean.
    This list wouldn't exist if every one had a large home library like I do, or knew how to look up the inforamtion on Google, Every thing is there, and we are really not needed. Thank goodness for all of you who post here. Norma

• kaktuskris
    14 years ago

Thought I was going to read yet another Jade thread, and then the fireworks began!

I agree with Norma that everything is just a Google search away, or can be found in a book, so I saw this forum as a pleasant adjunct to those resources, but now I pity the fool who innocently asks a repeat question!

Christopher

• muddauber7
    14 years ago

"Do they like to be root bound? Or do they prefer to have more leg room?" That started all of this? Great place to lurk for cheap entertainment,doubt I would want participate here. Peace....Out Billy

• beachplant
    14 years ago

It's terrible when someone asks a simple question that they are treated in such a manner. You can argue whatever you want but rude is rude and you are just offering a lame excuse for your horrid treatment of a very nice person. She even tried AGAIN and was treated worse. We all know you can get 400 answers to any question on the internet and 399 will be wrong. "Misread" indeed!

We don't have COOL Autumn or COOl spring nights. This is Texas. Providing heat is never a problem, it's 82 today.

Cactus King in Houston has a jade that is much, much larger than the one pictured. Which if I'm not mistaken is in front of a business, maybe a restaurant? I've seen that picture before. Cactus Kings was in full bloom last week when we were there. Based on his and the one pictured I'd think that wasn't a mature plant in the picture.

I too read extensively and have a small library of books at home and at work. But I can't always find the answers I am looking for and a lot of books are not written for my area. So even if I do find the plant and it's care it may not be helpful to me. Full sun in Texas doesn't mean the same thing as full sun in Delaware. That's why I, and most others, post on the gardenweb. We want REAL experiences with the plant.

Norma, thank you for your posts, they are very helpful and I've gotten great information from them in the past. Jades do fine here if you just keep them dry enough. Usually a lot of sun and an elevated location works the best. I grow most of my cacti & succulents on my porch roof, they dry out much faster that way. I have several that floated around the backyard in Ike, looked horrible and are now recovering with no problem. Even some of the smaller jades will bloom here, I think it's the long growing season. Of course we are known for our cactus here in Texas! They grow in every part of the state. Prickly pear will grow up to the waters edge and seem very tolerant of salt water. They'll start to grow on the beach if they haven't been floating for too long.
    We went to Cactus King last weekend & I got some great new specimens for my collection. And drooled over some I could not get in the car! I'll post some of the pics as I need a couple Id'd that I can't find in any of my books.
    Tally HO!

• norma_2006
    14 years ago

For Jeff's information and those who don't know or never has seen 'Jade" plants, they can flower at all sizes, yes they have shade of pink flowers depending on the vaiety. I have two in flower one has larger leaves that the other, but it can be growing conditiions. Both have pink tinged flowers, and I know for sure that there is one more that I have seen at the Huntington that has red leaves and darker pink flowrs, 'Huntington's Pink' That why there are 4 forms or more of Haworthia v. limefolia. Because we haven't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. San. come with pink, mauve, lilac, green, white flowers, depending on the variety. Open your eyes, and look. Norma

14 years ago

Brad,

Thanks for taking the time to write that - and the quality wasn't diminished at the end. No, au contraire.

Beachplant,

I'll get that character reference from you another time, if I may.

14 years ago

So, since I'm doing as Norma and others suggested, I forgot where I snatched this from - here's one in habitat. I don't know if its shape is determined by things gnawing on it or brushing up against it.

{{gwi:704151}}

The bark, when the plant gets older, gets quite textured and reminiscent of an old tortoise's back.

{{gwi:105266}}

14 years ago

Hi, Beachplant!
    I couldn't tell, but were you referring to the picture that I posted?

"Cactus King in Houston has a jade that is much, much larger than the one pictured. Which if I'm not mistaken is in front of a business, maybe a restaurant? I've seen that picture before. Cactus Kings was in full bloom last week when we were there. Based on his and the one pictured I'd think that wasn't a mature plant in the picture."

If so, you should know that it's a picture from my personal collection, taken by my father in Newcastle, California, at an actual nursery (specializing in Japanese maples). I've posted this picture around GardenWeb several times, as an example of a large Jade.

Josh

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Yea, the jade in the barrel, but I know it wasn't on this site. Has someone stolen your picture? I might have seen it on e-bay but it seems it was on a website for a restaurant. Of course, I could just be confusing pictures of jades in barrels. NO! It was on a bonsai page! Don't ask me which one as I do not remember but I do remember thinking I can never get that particular jade to grow here and how did they get it to bloom. I didn't bookmark that site as it didn't have any good information. Our humidity just rots them, and quickly. Ah, Japanese maples, another plant I lust after that hates us.

I used to visit this forum a lot but haven't for a few years. I'm slowly converting the non-cactus lover I live with to a cactus/succulent lover. He even bought a plant at Cactus King, of course, he plans to bonsai the thing.

Tally HO!

14 years ago

If someone has stolen my picture, I certainly would appreciate knowing!

In any event, now you know that the picture was taken in northern California,
    *not* in front of a restaurant but at an actual nursery - Maple Rock Gardens -
    in Newcastle, CA. I think the nursery name is even in the filename of the image -
    (yep, it is - just checked up-Thread).

Please, if you could get a picture of the Jade in Houston that is much, much bigger,
    I would certainly love to see it! I don't doubt you, I'm just an enthusiast, you see.

Josh

• beachplant
    14 years ago

Next time I'm on that side of Houston I'll pop in. He has the most amazing cactus everywhere. It's the first time we've actually made it to the shop. He's quite a character too. During Ike some of his huge cactus were blown over, the greenhouses shredded and a billboard fell on part of the cactus. The cactus has to weigh several thousand pounds without the pot it's in. They used a crane to get it back up. I'll take a bunch of pictures too. And a big truck so I can bring home more! He has some adeniums that are as big as a volkswagon. The price was about the same too lol! I had no idea they got that big. He also has a good selection of Fouquieria which I found rather surprising. Not many rhipsalis and only 2 hoyas. I did replace a few things I've lost like a variegated prickly pear and got some great new specimens.
    Well, northern California explains why I can't grow it. I'll keep on the lookout, I'm about to go bonsai website shopping for Christmas, on the lookout for some new containers.
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH