Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone ID this purslane

Posted by sdrose Sunset zone 24, USDA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 14:30

This purslane/portulaca is growing at a resort in Cabo San Lucas. From a distance, the blossom looked like a single petal rose which I knew it wasn't.

Sorry, but the bloom is bruised a bit. I'm posting a second photo showing the underside of the flower and some of the foliage which is more slender and elongated than most portulacas I've seen.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone ID this purslane

Looks like Moss Rose to me....

Nancy

o

Portulaca pilosa, common name Kiss me Quick. Couild be a named variety, seeing the special coloring. =)

o

I think it's a Portulaca grandiflora. P. pilosa has TINY flowers, about 100x smaller than that.

o

Yes, purpleinopp is correct! =) I wasn't thinking...size of bloom. Portulaca grandiflora is a better fit!

o

You're welcome, but Nancy's comment was what pointed *me* in the right direction. I just knew it wasn't P. pilosa because after admiring that tiny plant in the cracks of parking lots and in the gravel at the side of the road for years, I was finally able to get a good picture and ID it on the NTP forum. It's a native, kind of unusual when it comes to tiny but still showy, noticeable flowers.

A few little pieces of P. pilosa I rescued from the parking lot across the street before it was repaved are struggling (or maybe just going dormant,) but hopefully they dropped seeds in their pot if the mamas don't make it. I adore tiny plants and this is probably the cutest one I've ever seen. I hope to use some in a fairy garden pot next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here