Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloeasha

Has anyone seen Schlums for sale yet?

chloeasha
10 years ago

Hi all! Has anyone seen the great holiday arrival of the Schlumbergeras in the stores yet? I've been looking around, and none are in this town. I had figured they would come in soon. Curious as to if anyone has seen any.

Comments (125)

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I stopped off at Lowes on my way here to work and they had TCs, but just red, white, and a fuchsia. No yellow, no orange-- although the red was red-orange. I'm now 98% sure we're not getting any yellows anywhere!

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - I stopped at my Lowes too. All they had was red. I am looking for a salmon one.

Purple - Where are is your WM getting theirs from A&A or Mid-American? I was wondering if the East was supplied by one and the West by another.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Val, the 2 I got last week were from A&A. I didn't look at the ones yesterday that closely. Sorry, IDK if they were the same or not.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

Well, I thought I had a pot of peachy or salmon colored TC. Looks like I have a mix with white. Funny, because I had considered getting a couple of small ones in different colors to put in one pot.

• val1
    10 years ago

Went ou shopping on Black Friday and found another Thanksgiving Cactus that jumped into my cart. Smith's Marketplace had some on clearance for $3.50. Looked a little closer and noticed that some were labeled "Christmas Fantasy". It is finished blooming for now, so I am hoping the label is correct.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Crenda-- how awesome!

Val-- that's some find! Hopefully that label is correct. I find it kind of funny how you keep getting things on my list of wants lol.

• Enterotoxigenic00
    10 years ago

Our WM had yellow last year, I picked up a HUGE yellow labeled 'limelight dancer." So when temps warm up a bit here...right now it's freezing temps I'll be oh so happy to share. Also tucked away in corners (where DH cannot see) are a few darker yellow TC. Labels read, 'yellow'.
    I am always on the lookout for a new TC/CC I need.
    Karen

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome, Karen! I wasn't sure if you had gotten my last message or not. :)

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dupe

This post was edited by julianna on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 13:30

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome, Karen! I wasn't sure if you had gotten my last message or not. :)

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry guys weird hiccup-- kept saying it was rejecting my message when clearly what it really meant was "we're going to post your message a billionty times."

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry guys weird hiccup-- kept saying it was rejecting my message when clearly what it really meant was "we're going to post your message a billionty times."

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - I was excited. I can't stop looking at them when I am out and about. I certainly do not need any more right now. Including my Christmas and Easter cactus, I have twelve.

Karen - I also picked up a yellow at WM last year. It was not labeled but I believe it is Limelight Dancer. Glad to hear you got a labeled one since it confirms my belief. I would love to see pics.

• snailprincess
    10 years ago

Well, I bought a little white and pink one the day before thanxgiving...but then my mom surprised me with this beauty! I'm glad they don't have the same light needs ( or I've read online) that other cacti have... Then I'd be in big trouble.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snailprincess-- how gorgeous!!

Val-- I can imagine-- but then I picture mature plants housed in a cache urn standing regally in bloom in some amazing setting that isn't my house, and I get excited and think THERE MUST BE MOAR.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Nice looking plant snailprincess! Great gift!

Oh, no...it'll be Easter cactus collecting time soon...LOL! I thought I got one for a deal at Lowes...under $2 but it's a type of orchid cactus...shucks, didn't look at it that close. I just saw the smooth segments.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would like to point out that Snailprincess is an awesome name.

Hong-- could it in fact have been something like Rhipsalis pachyptera or R. eliptica?

10 years ago

Camellia, that sounds cool, whatever it is. If you start a new discussion with a pic & 'they' will suggest what it could be.

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, you're right Julianna - Rhipsalis eliptica is what it looks like

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I found a nice orange TC at a grocery store in VT this weekend! It was the last orange one...lots of reds, whites and pinks.

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay Laura! It's like a scavenger or treasure hunt lol.

• Laura Robichaud
    10 years ago

I found a nice orange TC at a grocery store in VT this weekend! It was the last orange one...lots of reds, whites and pinks.

{{!gwi}}

• val1
    10 years ago

Julianna - I agree it is like a treasure hunt. I get so excited whenever I find something different but then I want to buy it and then I wonder where I am going to put it. It is probably a good thing they cannot go outside all year long or I would want to buy them all. I did go quite crazy with iris.

• jessiec777
    10 years ago

They had some at our local safeway for $2.50 for a 4inch pot, I never did make it to the store to see what colors they had. Then they have some that are a 9inch from Debi Lilly company that are $25!! I'm thinking it's the packaging and company name that hiked the price up. I got a yellow one from them last year for $2.50 :-)
    Went through WM the other day and saw nothing but poinsettias and Norfolk Island Pines

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Congrats to all that have found some!!! Very pretty colors everyone.

Crenda, Nice white and salmon color. in the same pot..

Snailprincess that's a really nice and full plant...

Laura, very happy you found an orange!!

• beetle_2007
    10 years ago

This orange [I think ;)] jumped in my cart at Wally world.
    {{gwi:704397}}
    {{gwi:704399}}

I jusrt Love ALL of them LOL , and would have one in every color....if only there was Room LOL

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very cool! Does it have a name?

• teisa
    10 years ago

I found this at Kroger tonight while out grocery shopping. It is larger than the red one I found earlier!

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow-- very cool!

• dianashh
    10 years ago

Does anybody know where can I buy them from in the UK? Thanks! :)

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Wow! Very nice! My Kroger only had the small ones. That's where I bought the small yellow one.

10 years ago

Teisa, wow!! Now I can see why some are more expensive, they're HUGE! That's bigger than plants I've had for over a year.

• beetle_2007
    10 years ago

Posted by julianna 7bAR (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 18:24

Very cool! Does it have a name?

No, Sorry, its just a no id TC. :)

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awww, thanks Beetle! I figured :)

Diana-- I'll check around :)

• dianashh
    10 years ago

Thank you Julianna!

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Diana-- on some of the fb groups, I saw some UKers mention this:

cactusshop.co.uk

:)

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Congrats Beetle and Teisa!!

Teisa that's a HUGE one!!

Here's a couple of mine I've had since last year...they were given to me. They are both reddish and reddish orange...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

This one has pink and red on the same pot...

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very pretty!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Julianna!!

Here's one of my yellow blooms from my TC that's in "intensive care" I'm glad it decided to bloom even though its not doing so well right now :o(

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG I love it so much!!

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Gorgeous yellow Nancy!

How is your 2 toned cuttings doing?

• val1
    10 years ago

Puglvr1 - I love your yellow! I hope it makes a strong recovery.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments...I would be sad to see this one not make it. Keeping fingers crossed!

Camelia, are you asking about my TC "CRISTEN 'aurea"?

If that's what you're asking about...its doing well...seems to be rooted. Right now all the reddish and yellow growths have turned to light green/yellowish. Just one tiny little new pinkish/reddish growth...I really like this variety mainly for the difference in color from the rest of my other Holiday Cactus...

• camellia1_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I think they started calling it 2 toned on here...LOL!

Looks Beautiful! I'm so glad it is doing well for you. So nice and healthy!

What was your mix for cuttings? I couldn't remember and couldn't find your post.

Josh, helped me with the mix for TC...5:1:1

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Camellia...my mix is very similar to the one you used (5:1:1)... Orchid bark (very small pieces), perlite and a sprinkle of potting soil. Seems to work great for rooting CC's and TC's...thanks to Josh's suggestion as well :o)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

So nice Pug!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you too...Sorry about the yellow one...I think it will come around with your care:-)

MIke

10 years ago

Was at L's yesterday trying to buy wood-crafting tools they don't even sell (go figure!) and the few TC's left were on clearance. The $10 were $5 and the $3 plants were .50. Although there were several bigger ones with white, very white flowers, even I couldn't rationalize such a purchase with the present-budget. So I got 7 little .50 ones with the lightest colored buds. For $3.50, worth waiting for a year to see what they open to, assuming all of these buds will fall off as I'm expecting. I also picked up all of the broken pieces from the floor & stuck them in the tray. A few look promising, and total mysteries regarding flower color.

Now, where in the world am I going to put these things? I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting more/bigger holes in the sides of hanging baskets & sticking them in those. Seriously no room for any more pots!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks Mike! I'm going to need some extra luck :o)

Purple, .50 cents?!?! You're so lucky, my store is not doing any clearance on them yet...Great bargains!! You can always pot them all in one pot and see what color they bloom next year...one pot is much easier to deal with,lol...

• chloeasha
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So awesome, Purple!!

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living