Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just wondering what i have got here

Posted by Zell755344 Vermot (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 14:45

So, this is a cactus my girlfriends mother had and thought it to be dead, well its clearly not. Since I have had it for the last few weeks, the limbs off the top of the cactus has more then tripled in size!

I was trying to look it up and see what type it was, and i think its an Opuntia Aciculata, also known as Chenillie Prickly Pear. And it look slike it may flower at some point.

If so, what can i do to help it out, and if its not the OA, what might it be?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just wondering what i have got here

I doubt your ID. Probably more like O. microdasys that is horribly etiolated. Translation: probably a common plant that was grown far from any real source of light.
Those are new stems, not flowers. Ideally, you would break off the longest growth and keep the plant in good light and water sparingly. Be careful those white dots. They are composed of hundreds of tiny barbed spines. If you get some in you, you can run the affected part through your hair, use Elmers Glue and let it dry, or any other way there is to extract them.

No matter what the ID (and unless it is something like microdasys), Opuntias are generally hard to ID unless you know where the plant came from and it has some classic traits. Traits like a specific shape, color or spine display. Cultural conditions can change a plant's appearance.

o
RE: Just wondering what i have got here

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 19:17

I agree, it looks like it is not getting anywhere near enough light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here