Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

A greenhouse jaunt

paul_
11 years ago

Howard invited me along on his jaunt to a succulent/cactus nursery yesterday. Twas quite an enjoyable sojourn. Saw some very nice plants ... many of which I had not seen before. Though I did not buy anything, I did take a few shots here and there for y'all. In many cases I was able to get the names but there are a few unknowns.

Thought this one to be quite unique

{{gwi:705025}}

Another nifty one -- it reminded me of corkscrew rush (Juncus effusus 'Spiralis'). Picture isn't the best but I did get the name tag in the photo.

{{gwi:705027}}

Thought this one was very cool. Didn't get the name for it, alas. Reminded me of a cross between a waterlily and a protea flower.

{{gwi:705029}}

Two of the many I had never heard of before

{{gwi:705031}}

{{gwi:705033}}

A lot of caudex plants ... most in large (8-10") pots

{{gwi:705035}}

{{gwi:705037}}

{{gwi:705039}}

One of the smaller potted (4" pot I think) caudex

{{gwi:705041}}

A number of Pachys but this 3 trunker intrigued me

{{gwi:705043}}

Quite a goodly number of mesembs, IMO. These little section being in flower, of course, caught my eye

{{gwi:705045}}

A colorful section of echies and such

{{gwi:705047}}

One of a multitude of Agaves that caught my attention (for you Jeff)

{{gwi:705049}}

Comments (19)

• seedmoney
    11 years ago

Many thanks for the shot of bliss!

• elichka
    11 years ago

Gorgeous plants,thanks for sharing. I wish I were there...

Inna

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Well that little sojourn has definitely brightened up my day, thanks for all the eye candy.

Annette

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
    11 years ago

Paul,

Let me add to the thankers - and the Agave, yumbolicious! And the Pachy. The one unid might be Haemananthus albiflos. Were those all for sale? I could have easily sold myself into indenture.

11 years ago

That should be Haemanthus albiflos, but it gave me another chance to revel in caudex fever.

And the Albucas - I have one (A. shawii) that grows in the summer, but the other two (A. spiralis and A. acuminata) are winter-growers. Something for everyone.

• LMiller_777
    11 years ago

What I wouldn't give to have a place like that in Texas. Lovely plants... Thanks for sharing the photos!

Linda / Houston

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by cactusmcharris
    Were those all for sale?

Most of the plants were though some did not yet have their price tags on them. The owners had only in the last couple weeks brought some of the larger plants indoors and were still arranging the greenhouses and trying to get some potting done. Many of the large caudexed plants in the large pots were the owners' personal collection and were not for sale.

Glad you liked the pics folks. :)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Was this at The Root Cellar, on 12? Wonderful hidden treasure of a nursery, if so.

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Whoops...wrong name; The Root System.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Yes, unprofessional, but now they are called "The Root System" owners John and Kathy Krajenka (Krajenka Buick for those old enough from SE Michigan to remember). John has retired from his full time job with Goodyear Racing and will devote his undivided attention to promoting his C&S business. He told me he has or will have up and running a new website for internet sales. My disclaimer: I'm not promoting or advertising here, just FYI! Don't want to cause problems.

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

That's great news! I'm over in Hillsdale county, but mainly grow waterlilies, conifers, clematis, and hydrangeas, though cacti & succulents are my wintertime hobby. I have always been impressed with their little nursery.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Great plants. I wish there was someplace like that near here. That Albuca really does look like a corkscrew rush. I don't think the NOID is a Haemanthus albiflo. That foliage is wider.

{{gwi:705051}}

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Karyn, you have tons of square feet of greenhouse space in your backyard! All of those wonderful plants DH brings home... LOL

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    11 years ago

Karyn, you have tons of square feet of greenhouse space in your backyard! All of those wonderful plants DH brings home... LOL

11 years ago

Karyn,

Some of the Albucas are easily had from Greg Starr, but I think that mecca of succulentism, Mesa Gardens (I really should order some plants from them for delivery Down Yonder), has a lot more. They're (I'm speaking of just the winter-growers here) awesome to see pop up in October after slumbering the summer. Albuca 'Augrabie Hills' stays in leaf (shoot?) year-around here, but I've never seen it bloom. Here's Albuca shawii this summer:

{{gwi:705053}}

• karyn1
    11 years ago

Pretty little flowers. They look kind of like yellow snowdrops. There's plenty of online vendors but nothing that I could drive to within a reasonable amount of time. The National arboretum has some interesting plants to look at but there's no retail shops.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Thanks, Paul, for a great greenhouse jaunt! :-D

Josh

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

All of you! Enablers! Shame on youall collectively and individually!

I've spent the past 2 year getting rid of plants. I want room in the greenhouse to start tomatoes and squash and such. Then drug peddler Paul come along, shows decent pics of his addiction, and now I think I might have room for a couple of new plants. The rest of the Greek chorus is heard chanting "Oh just one more". Shame on me too.

11 years ago

Dz,

Nothing worse than a lapsed succulentist, but then you taught me that. 'The Man with the Golden Potting-Up Arm' was playing all along.