Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Aloe 'California'

...At least, that's what I think they are! ;)

The smaller of the two plants was plucked from the larger container before a hard freeze hit.

The larger container had three trunks originally (minus the fourth that I plucked from the middle),

but they were all frozen down to the soil-line last Winter. After a while, however, new growth

appeared from the roots. They're growing in one of the grittiest mixes I ever made - nearly pure grit,

mostly large gravel, with a fraction of bark, pumice, and charcoal.

The smaller plant - my 'bonsai' - is in bark, perlite, and pumice (equal parts of each).

{{gwi:57374}}

Josh

Comments (20)

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Nice plants, Josh! :) I suppose they could be Aloe 'California' (under different growing conditions than mine).

Mine look a bit different:
    Click for larger view..

The first is how it looked when I received it, taken from the ground (home of a person who had the mail order job for a succulent nursery). Third pic is how it looked much later. Other 2 pix are the pups that grew from it (bottom of the large stem).

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Josh..

Amazing as always!!! You certainly are a greenman!

Are they fast growers? It is amazing how well they do in such mix..

Rose..Very nice looking..

Mike..:-)

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

there are multiple plants sold as Aloe 'California'- more commonly they are the plants in the first photos above, but they have another name, too: Aloe Blue Elf. The lower photos are of another common Aloe hybrid (some suspect with arborescens and either humilis or maculata... but neither explain the blue color AND the spots). I have not seen that aloe personally sold under Aloe 'California', but I have heard others seen it sold that way. It is a very common 'Home Depot' plant, often included in their succulent community pot offerings. Never gotten a real identification on those. The first photo in the second group is most typical of this aloe I'm referring to. Have yet to see this one bloom. Aloe Blue Elfs have mutliple flowering seasons and lots or red-orange flowers. Nice and extremely hardy plant if you need a small area filled with a short, suckering bluish aloe in the landscape. IN pots I find them a bit too aggressive and they fill up a pot in no time.

• lzrddr
    13 years ago

Here are a few shots of the aloes I have called Aloe 'California'

These are the blue elf versions:

and this the other larger one. I planted it along with the entire community pot it came with in the front yard

but it quickly grew into the side walk, so I dug it up and planted the entire plant group at the very corner of the yard where it would grow up along fence

this is it now, get weed whacked everytime it grows through the fence. Poor aloe... just don't have room for it anywhere else.

• rosemariero6
    13 years ago

Again, great plants & pix, Geoff! :) Yes, I'm sure Home Depot has mislabeled many of these. No telling if correct on mine, but of the pix you show above...to me, the 1st two are of Aloe 'Blue Elf' and the last 3 pix Aloe 'California'. There is quite a difference in size, color & spots between these two (as you indicated the latter was larger).

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rosemarie, Mike, and Geoff, thank you so much!

I have a few pics of the parent plants. They definitely do overwhelm a container in no time!
    These shots will probably show the form better. First pic is from February 2009:

{{gwi:533642}}

A year ago, November 2009:

June 2010 - the plants regrew from the roots after the top foliage was frozen in December:

Josh

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    12 years ago

Yep,this is what I have..only,I tried stressing it last summer to see if the leaves would redden. They never would,shrivel in hot sun without water-but stayed blue green.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Stanofh! ;-)
    The only time mine has any color to the leaves is in early Spring and Autumn.

Josh

12 years ago

Hi Josh,I came across mine when I saw it in front of a neighbors home in its pot and a sign that said "Free Plant"-lol..weighed a ton planted in pure dirt and 15 gallon pot...took every muscle I had to lift it into my trunk of my then Mustang!..drove a few blocks with trunk open too.
    Where did you get yours?

Original Author
    12 years ago

How funny!
    I think mine was originally a "free plant," as well.
    My sister's boyfriend worked at a care home that was closing, and he was given all the plants.
    Aloe 'California' was one of them. I received a pup that immediately grew into three tall plants.
    Those three froze, but I salvaged a tiny pup (the one in the small container now). Then the roots
    regrew from the frozen plants, so I had more. This winter, I gave away the larger of the two.
    I just don't have room for both containers...especially with the rapid growth and tall tendency.

Josh

• hijole
    12 years ago

Josh ,nice Aloes and the green colors and nice, I have a couple of these myself . Just happen to look at some of your old post, studying my opponent . Lol...

• jade_man
    12 years ago

congrats on the not dead plant. That goes to show that maybe you should not just give up and throw a pot of a plant that you think is dead in the trash. i myself usually wait quite a while before taking such drastic measures.

Doug

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

Josh: I had a thread a few months back about my ailing Aloe "California". Of the three, one was completely mush; the second one was questionable as to whether or not it could make a comeback; and the third was just fine. I'm please to say that the questionable one, after being repotted in pure perlite (per many recommendations), has set down new roots and is slowly but surely sending up a new leaf. (The third is, of course, still doing just fine.) You can check out the pics in that thread for comparison; I personally think yours likes quite like mine.

*CG*

Here is a link that might be useful: Oh, poopie!

Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Greg, too funny! ;-)

Doug, that's good to remember. I usually give my frozen plants a chance to heal, and it's
    been worth it. I've frozen Jades, Aloes, Wandering Jew, and a couple others that have survived.

CG, great to hear! I love a good survival story! ;-)
    I'll check out the Thread as soon as I post this message.

Josh

Original Author
    8 years ago

Here we are, years later, and I've finally done something with the Aloe 'California.'

It was languishing in that *same* small container, so I chopped and propped it, and re-potted the plant with roots in a slightly larger container back around the end of February. It absolutely throve this season....and, as a result, I took off the heaviest new growth this afternoon.

Josh

Late February....years in this small pot. So rootbound it was paling and unable to get enough nutrition.

Chopped and propped....
    The precious trunk that I wanted to make multiple branches....
    New growth, multiple branches, and a main stalk....
    Close up of that excellent low branching!
    Today, September 27, just prior to topping....
    Done.
    Now that I think about it, I'll probably nip off that next leader on the left, too.
    Keep it low, compact, and with as many branches from the single trunk as possible.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, welcome back! :-)

Yes, this Aloe will bloom eventually, especially where it can grow outdoors or be planted in the ground.

I still have my two plants - the taller top-cutting that was rooted, and the bushy main stump that I've pruned to be compact. I really like the multi-branched look, with the ever-thickening trunk. Here are some pics for an update:

• o_m_r
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hey guys, looks like some have replanted the removed top portion. Root hormone and/or anything else needed? Thanks, great thread...

5 years ago

For this Aloe,just put in dirt and cuttings are off and running.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Indeed, I never use rooting hormone with pretty much any succulent. Aloe 'California' is incredibly easy to root.

Josh