Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wizard6

Help ID and ideas on why it's fallen over

wizard2
14 years ago

I have a succulent that was given to me last year as a Christmas gift. It has done really well this past year up until this morning. The stalk has drooped over, making me think that it needs water. I've watered it and propped it up against another pot. Is it time to move to a larger pot, or is something else going on?

Photos:

{{gwi:706321}}

{{gwi:706323}}

{{gwi:706325}}

{{gwi:706328}}

When I first got it:

{{gwi:706331}}

Comments (9)

• joscience
    14 years ago

To be totally honest, you are confusing fast growth for healthy growth. This plant is desperately searching for more light, which is why the stems have grown so long and leggy. The leaves should literally be stacked right on top of each other, not separated by an inch or two as they are in your pictures.

This etiolated (leggy, stretched) growth isn't very healthy, and is unable to support the weight of the plant which is why it has fallen over.

The best course of action, in my opinion, would be to cut the top off it, reroot it, and then be sure to grow it in sun light. That may be more involved or complicated than what you wanted to hear, but that is really the only way to "fix" your plant. You can find lots of information on that process by searching these forums and the general internet.

As to an ID, it looks like an Echeveria to me, maybe Echeveria 'Perle Von Nurnberg."

• nday
    14 years ago

In the second picture, it looks like it's sitting in a puddle of water, which would be far too wet for it. It could just be an optical illusion, but beware of over watering it.

• wizard2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cut and replant huh? Hmm. I was actually starting to get suspicious of the extra long growth, but wasn't sure if that was normal for this plant. It does get indirect bright light most of the day, but not direct sun. I'll move it for the next go round I guess. I take it this is a type that can be cut and rerooted after letting it callus for a day or so right? Can I root multiple sections?

In terms of the water in the picture, the flash makes that look like a puddle when it really isn't. It's the left over from when I watered it this morning.

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

I agree with Josiah's diagnosis (etiolation) and remedy ( beheading, rooting, and lots more light). I'm fairly certain that your plant is Graptoveria 'Fred Ives', an intergeneric hybrid. It's changes color from blues and greens, to purples and yellows depending on the season and sun exposure. Rosettes get up to about a foot diameter. Stems grow about 1 foot tall. It's a prolific offsetter.

Graptoveria 'Fred Ives':

{{gwi:486919}}

{{gwi:486915}}

Brad

• wizard2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so another question. Should I repot in a larger pot? and how much of the stem should I save? Will the remainder of the plant sprout new branches? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your quick responses!

• plant_junkie
    14 years ago

I have recently fallen in love with this plant. Something I noticed right away is that the semi dead leaves that I pulled off, shot a great deal of roots very quickly. In about 1week and a half, in the dry air(not in direct sunlight), it had a large root system set up. About 3 weeks after that I now have 2 plants growing from this one leave they each have 7 leaves. It blew me away at how fast it shot roots. I think you should have an easy time rooting this one. I would not put it in a larger pot. I wouldnt water it until I saw new growth. I would keep it out of direct light while it is rooting and slowly move into more light. Ive learned that the hard way. Ive scorched plenty of little youngsters. As long as you hold on the watering this should go well for you. Best of luck :)

Paracelsus: Those are some wonderful plants you have there.
    Steve

• mooseling
    14 years ago

I have the same problem with my Echeveria. It fell over, but now he's starting upright growth again. So I'm guessing I should cut mine too. I'm going to google some info on cutting them here in a second, but maybe you guys will have better advice on doing it. So if you'd like to share, it'd be appreciated.

• wizard2
    Original Author
    14 years ago

An update, I took a leaf off the main plant to see if I could get it to root. No luck so far and it's been about 2-3 weeks. It's sitting in some perlite I had not soil, could this be why? Should I just move it to the top of the perlite?

• pirate_girl
    14 years ago

I'd suggest leaving it alone & just giving it more time. 2-3 weeks isn't a long time & folks generally start new plants in Spring/Summer not Fall/Winter which will make it take longer. Maybe, mist the inner edge of the container to just slightly moisten the perlite. Perhaps some bottom heat or a window sill that gets some sun?

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz