Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (12)

• seedmoney
    9 years ago

Looks like a well-grown Climbing Aloe, Aloe ciliaris. Compare to the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Climbing Aloe

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Looks like Aloe ciliaris, a climbing aloe. Nice!

• davids10 z7a nv.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanx both of you-it is fast-it was a 3in pot this spring.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

that is actually a very common Aloe ciliaris hybrid.. not the real thing, though. Too beefy and never really gets vining like the true A ciliaris. I have that growing in my yard, too.. .way more cold hardy than ciliaris, too. Mistaking the two is super common.

Here is the real Aloe ciliaris⦠note the sort of wavy leaves and disarray. The aloe ciliaris hybrid is a much more symmetrical plant and always looks the same, not the 'random' crazy look Aloe ciliaris has.

• davids10 z7a nv.
    Original Author
    9 years ago

info says ciliaris only gets like yours when it has nothing to climb on or is poorly grown-turns into a shrubby disreputable thing-highly unnatural for them to grow in the open.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Here is aloe ciliaris hybrid growing in the open.. the aloes in my yard that look identical to this are NOT grown well⦠in a super marginal climate and burn every winter, yet still have this beefy, open, symmetrical habit. The plants are much larger than true Aloe ciliaris

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

Here is another field of aloe ciliaris hybrid grown and let go to grow however it wants to⦠and typical of this hybrid it is growing up to about 1' tall and that is all, and then spreads laterally. Note how wide the leave bases are, too⦠these hybrids have more triangular leaves than the true plant which has narrower leaves.

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

the habits of these two plants are very different, too⦠the hybrid grows symmetrically, and only 1' high, then spreads along the ground. In the exact same growing conditions aloe ciliaris attempts to climb on things, it stems always twisting and turning, seeking something to drape over. Also, Aloe ciliaris has larger white teeth with the hybrids tend to have almost no teeth at all.

This plant is growing in the Los Angeles arboretum and is very happy.This is definitely what I would call a well grown plant, and it is quite happy, and later in the year blooming vigorously. the hybrids bloom, but rarely.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

The US and So Cal in particular have a few Aloes that are sold as the species, but aren't quite the true species, having differences from the plants found in their native habitat. Ciliaris is one and striata is another. A. aristata, I have read, is another.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

How interesting seeing the difference in the growing habit of the hybrid and the true Aloe ciliaris! I wish I had known this sooner.

Mine, whichever it is, is now about 20 inches tall and has new plants/pups coming up at the base. I may regret where I have this planted, but I placed it near the large coral chunk thinking it would be a good place to drape/climb. No blooms yet.

Here's what it looked like when I bought it and what it looks like now -

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

yours looks like it might be the real thing⦠note the teeth and the narrower leaflets, and the lack of suckering until it's grown that far. The hybrid tends to sucker much earlier on.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    9 years ago

Thanks! It may be the first plant that HD has named correctly. LOL