Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange succulent

Posted by gourdglutton 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 21, 09 at 15:53

Hi succulent lovers. I need your help. I just bought (like 2 hours ago) a strange succulent here in Minnesota in a garden center. The name on the tag is Neo Chilenea Occulta, I would like to post a picture but do not know how. Anyway the plant is round, about two inches in diameter and almost a dark green to light brown. Google was no help. Maybe someone on this forum might know what it is.

Thanks,

Gourdglutton

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange succulent

is this it...?

Here is a link that might be useful: Eriosyce occulta Kattermann syn. Neochilenia occulta

o

Yes, Tom you are correct. The picture is exactly the way my plant looks. I have never seen this plant before. I only grow euphorbias, but this plant was so strange that I had to buy it. Any advice (about this plant) would be appreciated

Thanks

Gourdglutton

o

Neochilenia is now a defunct genus, having been lumped into Eriosyce along with Horridocactus, Neochilenia, Neoporteria, Pyrrhocactus, and others.

Eriosyce occulta (Neochilenia occulta):

Eriosyce occulta (Neochilenia occulta)

Eriosyce occulta

Brad

o
RE: Strange succulent care

Care is easy.

No more than about 3-4 hours of direct sun, or the color will bleach.

Water when dry, late spring through early fall.

Keep very dry during the winter. Superior drainage is required.

The mix must be very porous. Use 80-90% inorganic materials. No commercial cactus and succulent mixes!

Brad

o

Thanks Tom, Your information is very helpful. It looks like the cactus will be a great addition to my collection. The only cactus I have among my euphorbias.

Gourdglutton

o

Brad,
those images are great.
What is the texture like?
It looks so rough...!

Josh

o

Totally cool!
Tally HO!

o

that will be my next purchase.

o

Brad,

No more Horridocactus? There is nothing sacred, and although Eriosyce is a nice name, it doesn't have the same panache, IMHO. Thanks for sharing the pics - it sure is pretty.

Josh,

I wish I had a picture of the N. o. (as it was then) that won the Best Cactus category in the San Diego C&S Show some years back - it looked as if it had been carved from dark purple wax and was twice the size of Brad's plant. Sadly, next year it went to Cactus Heaven.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here