Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloefreak1

Got a Massive Jade For Low Price

aloefreak1
11 years ago

Yesterday I went to go get my phone checked out at the Apple store in Tucson due to a clicking sound it makes when pressed on. Unfortunately the next appointment wasn't for another hour, leaving me with no choice but to walk around the mall. I ended up at a grocery store called AJ's Fine Foods. While I was leaving the store I noticed they had some C&S so I decided to take a look. To my suprise there were three giant jade just sitting outside of the main entrance. While walking over to them I was expecting some ridiculous price (as I was on the wealthier side of Tucson), instead I was greeted with a price tag of only $40... Can't believe it was this cheap. It's about 3.75' tall from the soil up and about 4.6' from the ground up making it seem massive when standing next to it, or maybe I'm just short lol. either way, I believe it to be a great find. It was also the only one with flowers.

Comments (11)

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Nice!!!!
    I guess I need to start shopping on the other side of town. lol..

What a great find!
    Congrats!
    JoJo

• melmel1982
    11 years ago

Oh wow!!! What an amazing find!!

• mi_co
    11 years ago

VERY, VERY nice. What a GREAT find and the price was excellent. ENJOY ! Mike

• noki
    11 years ago

Now that is cool. Will it keep that miniature giant tree look, or just end up bushy if you leave it alone?

Do people plant them in their landscapes in your area? Or are these just kept as potted plants?

• aloefreak1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! It lives in the dining room for now and dwarfs all of my brother's dracaena as well as everything else. Does anyone see any need for a repot this spring or should I leave it as is? Still in disbelief about this find!

JoJo- If you can take the journey across town there should still be two more (one is single and I believe the other one to have two in one pot, still at the same price), they're at AJ's Fine Foods at La Encantada Mall

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

And is that a HUMMEL SUNSET TO BOOT!?

Lucky , lucky you! Have fun with it:-)

• Laura Robichaud
    11 years ago

Great find!!

• kaktuskris
    11 years ago

A bargain indeed...And what an interesting specimen! What is the diameter of that trunk at soil level, by the way? Looks immense.

Christopher

• jojosplants
    11 years ago

Hi Aloefreak~
    Thanks..
    But not really in my budget right now. The huge truck i'm driving would take about $20 in gas! LOL!
    Not to mention I never venture to that side of town, the traffic scares me! lol..

Enjoy that beautiful Jade!

JoJo

• emerald1951
    11 years ago

Hi...WOW!!!!
    what a plant or tree...
    is it a Hummel Sunset??
    what a great find....good growing....linda

• aloefreak1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

noki- I havn't seen any jade growing in anyone's yard down here, just saguaros, ferocactus, ocotillo, and agave! As far as how it's going to be grown: bushy. I'm going to let it grow out a little before giving it a haircut.

kactuskris- The diameter is about 4.8", and yes indeed! A very interesting specimen!

And yes I do believe it is a Hummel's Sunset! I was so excited with the buy that it hadn't even crossed my mind until meyermike mentioned it!

I never even imagined such a plant in my collection!.. Now it's time for my wallet to go dormant along with my two desert rose.. lol Guess it's time to concentrate on what I got! Can't wait to see the Hummel's Sunset colors come out next summer! Hopefully I can get it to flower as well. Any tips would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!