Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocajava

What is this succulent???

mocajava
9 years ago

I was at Canadian Tire getting Christmas lights and decided to pop over to the plant section to see what's new. Well, when I got over there all of the cacti and succulents were rotting or dead, except this one! I decided to buy it because it was not too expensive and was going to die like the rest of the plants if it didn't get out of it's zero drainage pot. Anyway, I brought it home and re-planted it in a 50/50 mix of potting soil and gravel, and made a temporary support for it, but what is this plant called? I plan to replant it with better soil when I go for some on Tuesday, but I want to know what it is so I can care for it better and figure out a good soil mix.

Comments (7)

• teengardener1888
    9 years ago

It looks like a not too well Echeveria species.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

mocajava

'Not too well'...doesn't help much, but it is true.
    - it looks etoliated, didn't have enough light so it is stretching for it
    -it was more than likely in water-retentive soil and overwatered (it may have look very dry at the time you bought it, but you know how they take care of plants in stores...)

The mix still looks too dense. What kind of gravel did you mix in?
    You mentioned getting 'better soil' - what are you planning on buying?
    Don't buy anything until you get some advice here.

It looks like echeveria, but I am not good at ID so leave that for someone else.

Rina

• mocajava
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah it was in a container with no drainage and sopping wet soil when I got it. I had bought it on impulse so I only had some potting soil (bad I know) and a bit of pumice so I mixed it up best I could. I have since replanted it in a mix of cactus soil, perlite, and turface because that blend has worked for me before. But please tell me if you have any further suggestions, because it still isn't looking amazing. It my be because of how little light in a day there is since it's winter now, though.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

If your potting mix has lots of 'potting soil' (and very little perlite & pumice - both very good), I would plant it in smaller pot. It is easy to overwater if in large amount of soil. If you can add some more pumice and perlite, it would help. Or add some grit if you can - approx. size of aquarium gravel.
    Especially if it is in colder environment. It will survive the winter, but it shouldn't be wet.
    You could add some light using light fixture. If you have only 1 plant, even a desk lamp would do, or overhead/hanging light fixture. I would use at least 100w bulb - CFL equivalent to 100w uses about 25w or so.

I don't know what plant it is, but reminds me one of my yet unindentified succulent; it is also etiolated some right now.
    Are the leaves somewhat 'waxy'? Bottom leaves on yours are much narrower thou so it probably isn't same plant (all leaves are roundish on mine, even in less light). I bought mine in one of the BBS, could have been CT.
    Rina

This post was edited by rina_ on Tue, Dec 2, 14 at 10:05

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

I just noticed that I have same pot (at least it looks the same); it is less than 4" diameter on top, has 1 drainage hole & saucer is attached. I think is drains relatively slowly.
    So pot size is OK, just make sure you don't overwater.

Rina

• mocajava
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha what a coincidence, I actually have that exact pot! They were on sale at Lowe's! They do drain slowly but I'm really careful about watering, especially in the winter. I moved the plant nearer to a window on the south side of my house so it's looking better! Your plant looks like it has a bit of colour, so it's probably not the same plant, but the leaves are sort of waxy.
    Kind of random, but I was looking at my plant and noticed some crater like things on the leaves?? Would you happen to know what they are?

• cooperdr_gw
    9 years ago

Sometimes stuff can accidentally get splashed on plants- bleach or mildew remover and things like that are the worst. That's just one of many possibilities. The brown thing on the other leaf might be a bug that did it.