Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soilless Mix - How does it work?

Posted by americangolden ZONE 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 17:04

I've been doing some reading the last few days on Al's gritty mix along with other gritty mix's. I understand the concept and how it helps prevent root rot by not letting water sit in the pot, however, what I don't understand is how the plants are able to have all the nutrients they need with no soil. Unless I have missed something; correct me if I'm wrong, there is no soil in the gritty mix.

Enlighten me on how my Jade plants will survive this way before I make the go ahead on re potting them all this spring. If you are unable to explain it in a post, a link to a website which does explain it would be proficient. Thanks again Garden Web. I look forward to reading your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soilless Mix - How does it work?

American, when you water you want to water with your fertilizer, fish emulsion, sea weed, SuperThrive etc, that will provide your plant with the nutrients they need.

o

If I am understanding what you are saying correctly, you need to use fertilizer every time you water to replace the nutrients that would be found in the soil?

o

You don't need to fertilize that often.
But you can if you want to. Soil-less mixes will hold a certain amount of nutrients,
but those nutrients are also more readily flushed with each watering. That's why a
lot of folks like to use dilute amounts of fertilizer, applied with each watering -
a flushing and a fertilization at the same time.

I tend to fertilize my succulents only a handful of times a year, and very lightly during the Winter.

Josh

o

Makes sense to me now. Could you post a recommended dose of water/fertilizer to do with each watering or what would you recommend doing?

o

Here's a wealth of material regarding the use of fertilizers for potted plants. Note there are links in this thread to earlier discussions on the same topic.

My jade plants are pretty young - all but 2 were started from cuttings this past spring. I've been using Foliage-Pro mixed at 1/8 tsp per gal for each watering. This is working for my plants in my conditions at this time. You'll probably get as many different recommendations as people that you ask...

I trust you'll find the link below to be informative.

-Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizer Program for Containerized Plants III

o

Tim is right on.

I, too, use Foliage Pro at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon during the Winter.
However, I honestly don't get around to fertilizing each time I water.

During the Summer, I fertilize at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon as often as I remember ;-)

This is for succulents, mind you. Other plants are fertilized once a week or
every other week at much higher concentrations.

Josh

o

Thank you for your informative posts. If anyone else has anything to add i'd enjoy reading it. Now I am going to read that article you linked. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cacti & Succulents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here